Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am a bit distraught, sorry. I love Mister Goop with all my heart. ;~; This happened very suddenly. A giant growth appeared in the center of his forehead... some raised scales on his left gills. The rest of his body looks generally okay with only some fin splittage (I've been trying to get it to heal on and off with melafix treatments) and some wispyness. He is only a little grumpier than usual, otherwise as playful as ever...

A video of him swimming around bullying catfish (pretty usual activity): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pmoJuLNGQAUS0xQXktRU5zNTQ/view?usp=sharing

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Bubbler
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 corydoras and a pleco. On the other side of the divider is one female betta who is looking good.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He had hikari bloodworm treats last night. Today just a pellet or two.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day or every other day, depending on how he's looking/acting.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I do not have a kit and usually take water samples to my local fish guys if there is ever any trouble. His resident corys and pleco look fine, and so does the other betta on the other side of the divider.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has an enlarged bump between his eyes. His scales are raised there. The center has a whiteish hue. His mouth looks a little deformed and his face doesn't look quite right. His left gill has some raised scales/bumps. He ate a pellet with no problems and has been blowing bubbles and giving catfish a chase like usual.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope, he's happily been blowing a new bubble nest since the last water change.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tonight when I was saying goodnight to him. This morning he looked fine.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Full 20 gallon dose of Melafix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had fin rot before but never to any huge extent. His colors have been changing as he's aged, but local fish guys have assured me this is normal... some fin splittage on the top.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm going to guess at least 2.5-3 years. I rescued him from a biology laboratory class about a year ago and I understand that bettas aren't sold until they are about a year old.

I haven't added anything (or anybody) new to the tank in months.

What can I do? Is it more probable to be fungal, bacterial, or something else? Should I separate him from his tankmates? Up the heat?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
To me that looks like it's probably a tumor, if not a tumor a cyst. If so, there really isn't anything you can do.

The good news it it might not affect him much. Hopefully someone else can confirm - but the fact that it's on his head between his eyes would mean that it might not be able to progress too far inwards (it would hit your guy's skull - as opposed to being able to directly put pressure on the brain perhaps?) It might in time affect his eyes\vision if it continues to grow though.

Hopefully someone else can confirm though. I've seen similar looking bumps, just more in the fish's body - not on his noggin.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Gonna go with cyst, but I may be wrong. Dunno about the fact it's on his face, though. They usually occur on the body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's morning now and Goop is being fluffy and normal.

It's morning now and Goop is being fluffy and normal.

If it is a cyst, could I treat it by getting a syringe and trying to get the fluid out? Or does this sound like a disaster? Would a fish cyst eventually go away on its own?

If it is a cyst I wonder what caused it.

I remember there is a fish lady at the fish store who has tried something like this and has successfully treated bettas that others thought were total goners.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cysts and tumors will grow on their own. There is really not a lot you can do about it.

And no I don't really recommend doing fish surgery or something if you're not already experienced in the field. Something could go wrong and your fish may be dead by the time you finish trying to get the cyst out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to be draining...

As of tonight it is now a little smaller and a lot whiter. He is starting to act like it is bothering him (moving his head uncomfortably against the glass) but he is still behaving like usual.

I am hoping so hard that it is just a cyst and filling his tank with melafix to prevent secondary infection... It seems like it could be draining. I added salt, so I wonder if that's what helped it start to drain out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, my betta had something like a cyst on the side of his head, that eventually disappeared with no negative effects.

Just depends on the fish and the cyst, probably.

Good luck, Mister Goop!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts