Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can one play with a betta or make him not just sitting around in his tank? My one betta, all he does is sit on his leaf or go by the heater..I think hes depressed and I try to make him happy or swim around more. But he hasn't or rarely does. Now everytime I clean his tank, I do move the decorations around..

Any ideas? He currently sits on my dresser. Im tempted to move him on my desk so hes near me or place my other betta tank next to his to see there's another fish there. [Will place something in between to block their view a little].

·
Registered
160 Posts
How big is your tank? They can not move much when the tank is too small or too big or if the light is too bright. Mine was in a 10 gallon, stayed behind the filter all day, now he's in a 5.5 gallon with dimmer lights and more plant coverage and he swims around all day

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How big is your tank? They can not move much when the tank is too small or too big or if the light is too bright. Mine was in a 10 gallon, stayed behind the filter all day, now he's in a 5.5 gallon with dimmer lights and more plant coverage and he swims around all day
Hes currently in a 1.5 gallon tank. Earlier before I had placed him in different kinds of tanks, bigger too and he hated all of them. He would hide completely and then not eat for days..so I had no choice but to place him back in his 1st home. He feels comfortable but i'm wondering how one can make a betta be more active. I am noticing bubble nests along the outer portion of the water line..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would fill out this form and post a picture of your tank to see if someone else has answers:
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Form

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
YES
Does it have a heater?
YES
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
NO
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
NONE

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
PELLETS
Freeze-dried?
NO
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
3-4 pellets, twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
2-3 days
What percentage of water did you change?
25-40%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
N/A
What additives do you use?
Dechlorinator, seachem prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.0
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
When he went tank hopping
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
He has some pin hole tears but they are healing
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
I believe he is depressed
Is your Betta still eating?
YES
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I add melafix once in awhile and the water changes with warm water help him out
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Nope.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
I have had him for 6 months, when purchased he was a happy, fiesty camper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't feel afraid to try new things! I had a betta that would get all excited and chase around a laser pointer! I also target trained a betta to go through different obstacles and he loved the interaction, well... mostly the food part :)

What other sizes of tanks did you try? Is he bloated from he feedings twice a day? If he is try giving him some pea without the skin, it will help. How long have you had him? Who knows, it could be age? Hope he feels better!! <3

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't feel afraid to try new things! I had a betta that would get all excited and chase around a laser pointer! I also target trained a betta to go through different obstacles and he loved the interaction, well... mostly the food part :)

What other sizes of tanks did you try? Is he bloated from he feedings twice a day? If he is try giving him some pea without the skin, it will help. How long have you had him? Who knows, it could be age? Hope he feels better!! <3
Well i tried the aqueon 2.5 and then a tetra 3 gallon. It was terrible for my betta because of the filters. He is not bloated from feedings because i see him pass it and i dont feed him in close proximities of the timings. I have had him for 6 months. I could say too its age..but im just curious.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've heard that some bettas will go crazy for a ping-pong ball floating on the surface. They push it around lol. I've not tried it myself, but you may want to.

Could you provide a picture of your current set up? Maybe some recommendations can be given to liven up the place.

(Also plz don't feed your bettas peas. They're no good.)

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
It would help us if we knew the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Judging from your water change schedule, you may still have a low level of ammonia in the tank.

A few drops of Prime every day along with your wc schedule might perk him up by detoxifying residual ammonia.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I find chatting/fussing my betta makes him happier than anything, maybe give him some treats such as frozen bloodworm too so he has something different to perk him up a bit and maybe a new plant he can fussing with, Edmund always digs up the roots or fusses with new plants so by giving him an interest he might perk up
I tried a ping pong ball in the tank but Ed just sulked until I took it out again
Was interested that your nitrates are 0, that is incredibly low...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would help us if we knew the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Judging from your water change schedule, you may still have a low level of ammonia in the tank.

A few drops of Prime every day along with your wc schedule might perk him up by detoxifying residual ammonia.
The form is above,

no traces of ammonia

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find chatting/fussing my betta makes him happier than anything, maybe give him some treats such as frozen bloodworm too so he has something different to perk him up a bit and maybe a new plant he can fussing with, Edmund always digs up the roots or fusses with new plants so by giving him an interest he might perk up
I tried a ping pong ball in the tank but Ed just sulked until I took it out again
Was interested that your nitrates are 0, that is incredibly low...
Normally the water where I live has no nitrates now before if they had increased then I would add a little bit of prime and everything would go back to normal

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is not how it works. Prime kind of "locks" ammonia and nitrites into a less harmful form, but they are still in the water. You can't get rid of nitrates unless you do water changes or have a lot of live plants

1 - 20 of 22 Posts