Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?6.6
Does it have a filter?yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What temperature is your tank?27degrees Celsius
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?some ramshorns, 3 red cherry shrimp

Food:attisons betta food, attisons betta pro, frozen artemia, frozen discus food
What food brand do you use?attisons
Do you feed flakes or pellets?pellets
Freeze-dried?he didn't like them... never had a betta that liked them!!
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?2 times a day 5 pellets
Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?once a week
What percentage of water did you change?30%
What is the source of your water?tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?dip out water once a week, vacuum once a month
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?sera
Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0 (tank is cycled, I promise)
pH:7
Hardness (GH):6 thats strips, so not so accurate
Alkalinity (KH):6 same with gh

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?30 minuites ago. He was in perfect condition, l left home for 24 hours, and now he's dying...
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? loss of color
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? laying on the bottom, heavy breathing, struggling to reach surface
Is your Betta still eating? nope
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? 70% water change
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? very little fin rot when I got him, wich was curred in 24 hours, with some clean water!
How long have you owned your Betta? ughhhh... not sure. half a year maybe?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? very little fin rot when I got him

Please help....

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: FishandBirdLover

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
I‘d gently put him in a small hospital tank with shallow water and an air stone on light bubble mode for the moment (temperature 26-27 C.)

If not possible, put an air stone inside his tank on full bubble mode.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Feanor, forgot to mention, already put a bubbler... following your advise and moving him in the QT tank right now. Photo some seconds ago
Purple Plant Leaf Petal Wood

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The QT
Liquid Water Purple Blue Azure

• Sad

·
Registered
Many Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 5 Birds.
3,872 Posts
Aw! I'm so sorry! Hope he gets better soon!

Reactions: betta4ever!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Fishandbirdlover. I don't think he will make it....
I'm going to bed now, it's midnight, but please, tell me any med that might help, and I'll go get it tomorrow....

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is gone ... Thanks to anyone who replied for trying to help.... I'll make a memorial tomorrow.....

• Sad
Reactions: sparkyjoe

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Feanor. I appreciate your help more than you can imagine. It all happened so fast.... I would like to know what killed him. I think it was not my fault, because the cherries are doing great. I guess it was something internal.... Maybe I'll never know.... I'm crying while writing all this.... It's just so heartbreaking when you do your very best for them, but they just die ... SIP Espresso..... You'll be in my heart forever.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
2,917 Posts
Aww no. I'm so sorry about Espresso!

I know it's not of much help, but you did what you could and that's what matters.

S.I.P Espresso, you were a beautiful and very well loved boy. You'll be missed

And, I'm keeping you in my thoughts friend. I'm so sorry

• Love

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
<<snip>>you do your very best for them, but they just die ... <<snip>>
Exactly. Over the years I've had many fish energetic and eating before I went to bed and dead or dying in the morning....and never did I know the reason.

Sorry this has happened. I know how attached you are to him. Death doesn't take that attachment away.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss, he was a very cute little guy and I wish you had been able to have more time with him.

It seems like bettas are either bullet proof and live for forever or they pass away out of nowhere, far too young. I think that heavy selective breeding for the latest colorations and thus, bad genetics, is largely to blame but it is purely speculation on my end. Regardless, I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a betta never gets any easier 😕

·
Registered
Many Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 5 Birds.
3,872 Posts
I'm so sorry! Espresso was one of the most beautiful bettas I have ever seen and I always envied you for having such a beautiful betta everytime I saw a picture of him. I can tell that he was very, very loved by you and he couldn't have had a better home. He was a very lucky betta to have you as his mommy.

SIP, little boy, and swim peacefully under the rainbow bridge. ❤

• Love

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much for your kind words.... It really makes me feel better.
It seems like bettas are either bullet proof and live for forever or they pass away out of nowhere, far too young. I think that heavy selective breeding for the latest colorations and thus, bad genetics, is largely to blame but it is purely speculation on my end.
Would buying from a hobbyist/ breeder reduce the chances of bad genetics? Also, since you're our wild Betta expert.... Could I get a pair of Coccinas for the 6 gallon with a ph of 6.8 and only feeding frozen foods and live artemia?
Sorry this has happened. I know how attached you are to him. Death doesn't take that attachment away.
This made me smile....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Possibly? I mean, there’s really no fool proof way but I assume that buying someone who has been breeding those bettas for a while would have a better idea of the parents’ and grandparents’ health. I figure it is worth a shot. This is still just based off of what I’ve seen and heard from other people.

Over the past two months, I had 2 bettas, one koi and one blue marble, pass away who both just did not seem healthy. The blue one was prone to any sort of illness he could possibly get, even though his water parameters were fine, he was not stressed, etc. The other one, the koi, developed dropsy out of no where, even though he was still young and had never had any health issues. I did treat him with an antibacterial medication but it didn’t help and I ended up having to euthanize him. 😕

Like I said, some bettas have no issues ever and live to impressive ages, others just won’t thrive regardless of what you do. It seems like the kois and other ones with very prominent marble genes can have more weird health issues from my experience but this is just my personal observations and I don’t have any solid data or studies on this.

And for the Coccinas, I don’t have a lot of experience with the coccina complex; I’ve only kept a female Betta hendra. But from what I’ve read, a pair is okay in a 5 gallon. My concern is that they like more acidic conditions than your water, liking 4.0-6.0 and very low water hardness. Their natural environments are peat swamps so it can be very specific parameters. @Feanor seems more experienced with that complex so she may be a bit more helpful, sorry I don’t have more to offer!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts