Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Possibly? I mean, there’s really no fool proof way but I assume that buying someone who has been breeding those bettas for a while would have a better idea of the parents’ and grandparents’ health. I figure it is worth a shot. This is still just based off of what I’ve seen and heard from other people.

Over the past two months, I had 2 bettas, one koi and one blue marble, pass away who both just did not seem healthy. The blue one was prone to any sort of illness he could possibly get, even though his water parameters were fine, he was not stressed, etc. The other one, the koi, developed dropsy out of no where, even though he was still young and had never had any health issues. I did treat him with an antibacterial medication but it didn’t help and I ended up having to euthanize him. 😕

Like I said, some bettas have no issues ever and live to impressive ages, others just won’t thrive regardless of what you do. It seems like the kois and other ones with very prominent marble genes can have more weird health issues from my experience but this is just my personal observations and I don’t have any solid data or studies on this.
Never even heard of those things. I guess I shouldn't have bought a koi....
And for the Coccinas, I don’t have a lot of experience with the coccina complex; I’ve only kept a female Betta hendra. But from what I’ve read, a pair is okay in a 5 gallon. My concern is that they like more acidic conditions than your water, liking 4.0-6.0 and very low water hardness. Their natural environments are peat swamps so it can be very specific parameters. @Feanor seems more experienced with that complex so she may be a bit more helpful, sorry I don’t have more to offer!
Thanks, wild betta encyclopedia ;) Should I be able to fix my water with aquatic peat?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don’t think all kois are that way but so far, they are the ones I’ve had the worst luck with, health-wise. Maybe I’m just unlucky with them?

No problem! You could definitely try and see where the pH and hardness are at after introducing the peat. It can be hard to source though, so you may want to look into other means of lowering the pH. It’s something I’m not too experienced with though, thankfully the species I’ve been keeping aren’t extremophiles.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No problem! You could definitely try and see where the pH and hardness are at after introducing the peat. It can be hard to source though, so you may want to look into other means of lowering the pH. It’s something I’m not too experienced with though, thankfully the species I’ve been keeping aren’t extremophiles.
Maybe I should just get a plakat again. I can't afford anything other than peat, like RO, and I read it's difficult to keep a stable ph when using peat... Thanks for helping me so much, anyways! 💕

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
For the Coccinas:

They are said to even breed at pH between 6-7.

But the alkalinity (KH) needs to be between 0-2 and that can only be achieved with R/O, distilled or rain water.

Peat plays an important role here and the pH in such soft water.

A pair can be kept in a 6 gallon - if they like each other. So best to get a pair that already lives together without issues.

Keep in mind that these Bettas are not docile and are often only seen when being fed.
Low lights and darker water add to the "invisible look". So it is a very different way of keeping Bettas compared to domestic bettas.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks, feanor. I'm afraid that this project will end up being too expensive for me, and that my parents will make me rehome the coccinas. I'll definitely get wilds in a few years, though.
I'm so sorry to hear about Espresso, @betta4ever! And I'm sorry to be so late to the conversation! For some reason, I didn't get any notifications of your tag!
Thanks, KatieMR. I already miss him a lot....

Reactions: FishandBirdLover

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Woops, double posted....!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I really wanted to make a memorial today, but I had been studying all day.... I promise I'll make one tomorrow...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts