Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! So I'm back with more a:es. This time green hair algae I believe. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong...

pH-7.2
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10

10 gallon tank
Mortie and 2 oto's are the only fish in the tank
Heated to 76-78 (100w heater)
Has an air stone for the oto's
10 gallon filter (not sure of the brand)
Ferts- flourish and root tabs. I was dosing once a week until I noticed the algae. I haven't dosed in at least a week and a half.
Conditioner- Prime and I have added stress coat when Mortie tore his tail.

I do 2 50% water changes a week, one just water, one substrate cleaning.
I always take out food Mortie doesn't eat with a Turkey baster and the oto's have plenty of brown algae so I haven't needed to add food for them lately.

I'm wondering of the small amount of sunlight that comes threw the light blocking curtain could be causing the issue? I'm thinking I'll try to tack up a towel under the part that's behind the tank.

Here's some pics of the algae

And the window with morning sun behind it... I'm wondering if this could be my issue?

And this picture... just to brighten your day, Mortie's 'what you doing to my tank?' Look ;)

If there's anything I forgot, let me know. Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Ahhhh so that is what is in my tank, Green hair algae. XD though I think I got mine from the java moss. as of how to get rid of it, not sure.. =/

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really sure where I got it from. It grows back so quickly. I read into flourish excel but read some scary things about people killing fish when using it. I figured a little algae is better then killing fish in the process of trying to rid my tank if it. I figured I better ask. Especially now that I'm trying to keep my brown algae lol
Its terrible, I started out wanting to get rid of that until I got the oto's then I started purposely growing it to keep them fed lol!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Algea problems are often due to high phosphates. The sun might also be an issue but with the dark curtain I would think that's not the main problem. You can starve algea out by keeping ammonia and nitrate low with water changes and growing lots of plants.
Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I was thinking about getting another plant anyway, so I'll give that a shot. I would think that would be dark enough too. It's one of those light/sound blocking curtains. It has two layers but some light makes it threw. I'm gonna add a towel to hopefully block the rest of the sun on the bottom half of the window.
I'm doing 2 50% changes now. Do you suggest I do more percentage each time or add a 3rd 50% each week?
I'm thinking when I resume dosing my fert, I'm going to try cutting the amount I put in in half.
I appreciate the reply :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had problems with algea with my 20 gallon. I cut down the lighting to 8 hrs a day and started dosing excel. Took care of the problem and has never come back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about trying excel. I think the stories I read about it killing fish were when it was 2 or 3 times the dose. The posts (on a different forum, i did a google search) I read said they were dosing higher to get rid of algae.
I'm mostly scared for the oto's since I've read they are easy to kill.
Now if I were to try the excel, I wouldn't dose the regular flourish with it right?
I just want to make sure I go about this the right way.
Edit: I'll start reducing my light time too, thanks :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
You dose excel once daily(which I do), or once every other day. You still dose the fourish once a week. Remember it will take time to control algae. Patience is key. I also think your lights are on too long in my opinion. I would start by cutting the lights down to 10 hrs a day. A cheap timer is a great investment. :) Oh, and I have an otto in my tank and he's doing fine with the dosing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh good! That's reassuring :) I think I'll pick some up tomorrow.
I'll start doing only 10 hours a day.
I think that's my issue, I'm to impatient with the algae. I was the same way with the brown algae until I got my oto's.
Patience.... that's a good reminder!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you. I was thinking about getting another plant anyway, so I'll give that a shot. I would think that would be dark enough too. It's one of those light/sound blocking curtains. It has two layers but some light makes it threw. I'm gonna add a towel to hopefully block the rest of the sun on the bottom half of the window.
I'm doing 2 50% changes now. Do you suggest I do more percentage each time or add a 3rd 50% each week?
I'm thinking when I resume dosing my fert, I'm going to try cutting the amount I put in in half.
I appreciate the reply :)

Sounds like plenty of waterchange to keep excess nutrients from accumulating. Try anacharis for a fast-growing easy plant.

·
Registered
993 Posts
in the second and third pic it looked like the beginning of cyano bacteria. reading on the barr report.com phosphates do not cause algae.if it is cyano it could be from a few things.there are a few ways to get rid of it or any other algae,but unless you find the imbalance that is causing it,it will just return.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't mean to contradict or start argument but... there are many published reports that link phosphate and nitrate to accelerated algea growth. Not to say that's what's going on here.
Hope you find a solution to your problem.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I agree that it looks like cyanobacteria, which actually likes low nitrates. What kind of lighting are you using? Are your plants healthy?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked up cyanobacteria, and it does look similar to that too. I don't have much of in in there yet. The 3 pictures I posted were the only places it was. Well, I cleaned it off one of the marimo balls and filter sponge over the intake a few days ago. It coated them with a few air bubbles trapped under it. I probably should have taken a picture of it.
My light is a zoo med 18in 15w tb.
My plants appear to be doing well. The Anubis nana has one new leaf since being in the 10 gal, the bigger leaves on the money wort are new. The more lacy looking leafs on the water wistiera are new. The swords have gotten taller and have a few more leafs. One of them has a baby that's growing more leaves as well. The java fern hasn't really grown much, but has attached itself to more rocks.

The water wisteria is closed up on top because I just flipped it on to feed Mortie breakfast and take a few pictures of the plants for you.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Don't mean to contradict or start argument but... there are many published reports that link phosphate and nitrate to accelerated algea growth. Not to say that's what's going on here.
Hope you find a solution to your problem.
yup,the mind is the first thing to go. went back and reread.this is only for very heavily planted tanks.obviously this is not what we are dealing with.

·
Registered
702 Posts
lighting is a major issue. 10 hours straight is still a lot. would be better to break in between: 4 hours on, 1 hour off, 5 hours on. this supposedly helps disrupt your algae's growth.

also, try to find other nutrients that might be limiting your plant's growth and replenish them (more of a problem in high tech than low tech setups). as your plants start gaining biomass, they will start out competing the algae for the same resources. your tank still looks fairly underplanted, not to mention, anubias and java fern are slow growers so dont expect them to contribute much to limiting resources to algae.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you rssky :)

I was thinking about getting one or two more plant Amphirion. My options are limited to what Petco or pet smart sells. Which really isn't much. I could try to get more of one I already have? Is there one that would be more beneficial then the others?
The light was only on for 8 hours yesterday. And was planning on only 8 today as well.
Are you suggesting I keep dosing my ferts rather then stop? Cause its been a week and a half to two weeks since I last dosed. I wasn't sure if dosing would feed the algae more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts