Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
any of the stemmed plants that petco has to offer will have a higher nutrient uptake rate than plants such as anubias and java fern. willow leaf hygro might be a good option. wisteria is also a good option, but you have that one already.

i think you are also taking the safe route with ferts. its is important to give your tank the exact nutrients necessary for optimal plant health rather than what they have plenty of already that is encouraging algae growth (N). Elevation in P, K, perhaps Fe, Mg, B, and Ca are also beneficial, but each also requires their own exact concentrations. this is why i avoid using all purpose/premixed fertilizers as I cannot control all the variables as opposed to having a known concentration of each element.

adding CO2 helps keep algae levels and certain species of algae at bay also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I really appreciate the help. Thank you all.
So my plan is to keep my lighting to 8hrs a day. I blocked out the sun behind it. On my 3 days home I'll be sure to give the light a one hour break half way threw. I'll also hold off on ferts until I get it under control. I also will grab one or two more stem plants next week. I wanted to get them tonight but snow got in the way of that :/ *(I'm counting down the days til spring!!)*
There isn't much in there but I'm going to take it out by hand tonight. Tomorrow is my substrate cleaning and 50% water change.
Hopefully with all this I'll get it under control.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok I know a bit about all of this, first off I am looking at the sunlight as being one of the factors, second would be photoperiod/bulbs ie how old are the bulbs and whats the k rating on them, you might have answered this but i got bored with reading all the posts lol, 3rd you can use excel without any issues but I doubt it will help, it is more of a band-aid, in other words it will stop the algae but not fix the problem as to the why you have algae, and I am not to sure it will work on hair/thread algae and it would take a pretty serious overdosing of excel to kill fish I have dosed up to 4x the dose and yeah not a single fish died. the next thing is the plants you have and be it there is not really a ton of them, I doubt you need ferts, everyone loves their plants to grow fast it seems but if you are not planning on selling clippings whats the point? Weekly water changes of 10-15% will help keep most algaes in check, I wish I had the easier kinds of algae to deal with I have a fight with black bush algae in on of my tanks and it is almost always a lighting issue, believe me I have had to experiment with the lighting to get it gone every time I change a light fixture.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The light I have is 6500k I think? It a zoo med 18in 15w tb, super daylight. The light is a little less then a month old. I haven't has this 10 gallon running for a month yet. The plants, wood and about half the rocks came from my 5.5 gallon. I switched it over on Jan 22nd. I've been thinking about getting more plants since switching over since I have a lot more room now. I just haven't got around to it yet.
I agree, I was trying to make it grow fast. I wanted clippings to fill it in more, but I like the idea of letting them grow slower and finding another stem plant. Would the moneywort be considered a stem plant? I saw a purplish/maroon colored one that looked like it grew similar to the moneywort. I can't remember what it was called.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes, moneywort is a stem plant. The other plant you mentioned might be ludwigia repens, which is also a fast grower.

Is that green spot algae on your java fern?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got the hygro in a tube from petco and it grew very well for me. I've already propogated cuttings after only 8 weeks. Also the echinodorus argentum rooted almost immediatly and is putting out new leaves.

Something good about petco!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Kittenfish- Yes I think that's what it was! Its so pretty. It said med light on it, so I wasn't sure I had enough light for it to grow well.
I don't think that's another algae. It has what looks like damage to some of its leaves. The roots are also dark in color and some of the new little plants are growing off from some of the bigger leaves. I assume the roots being dark was typical of this plant since the new roots are dark as well. I've had it for at least 5 or 6w and it hasn't gotten worse or spread. I think its fine? Your making me second guess myself tho lol
rssky-I think I've seen that plant. I'll look into that one as well :) Those tube and little packaged plants are the best thing about Petco and petsmart. They both have the same ones so I usually go to both of them (they are a half a mile apart, which is convenient) and see who has the best looking plants at the time.
One thing I've never seen is floaters. I wish they had a few or even one option to buy.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You can always add some floater plants, they can help because they take nutrients directly form the water collum, i would not do dukweed that stuff is hard to get rid of once you put it into a tank, but you can try cutting your light down to 8 hours a day, would help some as well

21 - 28 of 28 Posts