Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went today and 2 bettas were dead and rest were dying. I saw a beautiful orange boy with fungus and tail rot. I told the manager and said I want this fish but I'm not going to pay for a sick fish and he ripped him out of my hand and said we will care for him ourselves. So I left when I got home I felt bad so we scrapped together money and went back for him and he was back on the shelf!! His water wasn't even clean. I took him and slowly put him into my 3 gallon heated with salt in hopes to help him survive. I'll give an update in the morning

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sadly, as long as Wal-mart can make money on fish sales they will continue to sell them. :/

My own local Wal-mart no longer carries live fish and I am glad. They never bothered to take care of any of the fish.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just happy I took this little guy home. He's in a nice clean tank with some aq salt. I hope he makes it he didn't look good in his cup at all last night. I don't want to check on him yet I want to wait until the sun rises so he doesn't get upset from light to dark.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Wal mart stopped selling fish in Canada since they werent making money :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This poor little guys laying on the gravel breathing heavy. I think he's got a fungal infection. What should I do

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You can get a fungal medication, saddly right there at walmart. I'm headed there today for another tank so I'm of course going to browse the betta's an probably yell at the manager

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe the manager just put him back! He was going to die. He sld have just gave him to me! Completely rude person. But the little guy is doing so much nether thanks to ofl's help :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
ofl is great on so many levels. I stopped at wally world and they had almost NO bettas on the shelf and the ones they did looked horribly sick, but they also looked like they were treating them so I didn't yell at the management.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well no offense, but even buying fish out of pity is just ENCOURAGING them to continue to sell fish. No matter what, they made money off of you. Walmart will not stop selling bettas until they're losing money from carrying them. Considering they spend very little money to get and care for their bettas to begin with, this is unlikely to happen. Your fish isn't a rescue, he's a purchase. I'm not saying I'm not pleased that another betta is in a proper, happy home because I totally am, and I really hope I don't offend you! This is just a reality we all need to face...buying fish doesn't count as a rescue, nor does it help things long term.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a sick fish from Walmart three days ago, poor thing never stood a chance. They gave me another, and he's in my hospital tank right this moment being treated for ich. Hopefullly he doesn't have anything I don't know about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The two Walmarts near me no longer carry them. People bought them, but they also made youtube videos of walking into the store and showing the dirty water and stuff. They also talked about price. Get a healthy betta and it'll last 3-5 years. Get one from walmart ad either get lucky, get a new one every few weeks, or buy meds and spend a lot of time treating. The store began chasing people out of that section, but then people began stealing the fish (claiming "SAVED BETTAS" and Walmart stopped carrying them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if our local Wal-Mart* stores hate seeing me in the fish section. When I see poor conditions then I ask to talk to the manager. They take their sweet time, probably hoping I will give up and go home, but I wait. Then I firmly, but respectfully, explain how dead and decomposing Bettas aren't good for "business". Let alone the ethical/humane issues in allowing the fish to suffer in horrendous conditions.

I have countless photos and videos of horrendous neglect, which I send to corporate.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if our local Wal-Mart* stores hate seeing me in the fish section. When I see poor conditions then I ask to talk to the manager. They take their sweet time, probably hoping I will give up and go home, but I wait. Then I firmly, but respectfully, explain how dead and decomposing Bettas aren't good for "business". Let alone the ethical/humane issues in allowing the fish to suffer in horrendous conditions.

I have countless photos and videos of horrendous neglect, which I send to corporate.
lol I'm tha same way, minus taking photos and sending them to cooperate. I should though

1 - 20 of 57 Posts