Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! I’ve recently been adding plants to my tank. I currently have a small amount of duckweed, guppy grass, staurogyne, lilaeopsis, and java moss, along with one moss ball. ABout half these plants are dying. I bought the lilaeopsis thinking it was a low light plant and easy. Not. Hoping it may survive in my low-tech not too bright tank. Fingers crossed. My Java moss won’t stop dying/ turning brown. It’s supposed to be the easiest plant out there, what’s up?? The guppygrass survived the original melting and it okay, ditto the duckweed. The only things really thriving, however, are my staurogyne and moss ball (mario). I’m looking for fast growing, easy plants that I won’t kill. I like a lot of carpet plants and I do need some suggestions for the background. I’m so frustrated with this. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Are there additives I need? different lights???
Stats on my tank: Ten gallon, stocked with five pygmy corydoras, one large male betta and two male guppies, along with two assassin snails working on ending a population of bladder snails.
I have soft-ish water and do a 30% water change weekly. I have normal lights, I think 15 watts. I’m tyrign to keep it on the lower side for my corydoras, but I want my plants to do well, too. Something I should mention is I don’t have a lot of founds to work with. I need cheap options.
THANK YOU for any help or advice. I’m super discouraged and any tips will be VERY much appreciated. ;-)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since you haven't mentioned ferts, I'm assuming it's most likely nutrient deficiencies that's causing the die off, with the likely culprit being potassium. An all-in-one liquid fertiliser like Flourish Comprehensive or ADA Brighty should pick things up. If you can budget it in, Flourish Excel (liquid CO2) can also help (but don't overdose as it'll burn your moss.)

That being said, lights-ferts-CO2 all need to be in balance in a planted tank. If your lights are too low, your plants won't be able to use the extra ferts and you'll get algae. Ditto if your lights are too high and your CO2 or some of your trace nutrients (potassium is always the killer for me) are too low. So when you start ferting, start small and work your way up.

I get being leery about the effect of bright lights on your fish, but in general bright lights are okay even for shade-loving fish if there's plenty of places (plants, caves, etc.) for them to retreat to. So as long as you've got some shaded areas, it might be worth investing in a proper plant light.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very very much. Are all those additives corydoras-friendly/ someone told me some fertilizers are bad for them and I’m constantly worried. Thanks again! :0)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hm. I think some people worry about cories with root tabs (digging them up) and some fertilised substrates (damage to the barbels), but liquid dosing into the water column should be fine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Also, besides ferts, if you just put the plants into a new environment they may be adjusting to the new water, typically by dying in pieces. I loaded my 40g with plants at about half of the full stocked plan, and most of them melted or browned those first two weeks. Ferts are probably what got the plants though to adjust to the new water. I added Flourish twice a week.
Normal lights, do you mean incandescent or florescent?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure. Just normal aqueon clear bight light incandescent 15 watts. Is that enough or do I need better lights?
Will do on the ferts. Going to town sooner than later and I’ll pick up some liquid stuff. Hopefully it’ll work.
My staurogyne is looking amazing. growing like crazy. Happy about tat. My lilaeopsis is better after I took out all the dead stuff and replanted the few springs that seemed okay. My biggest meh is my java moss. It’s dead and brown looking. Is it gone beyond repair?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts