Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up an Aqueon Evolve 4 tank and after 5 days I am starting to notice a bad plastic or rubber smell coming from my tank. Has anyone had any trouble with the water pumps from these units before?
My heater is unplugged so I know it's not coming from there. It may just be a bad pump or an easy fix but I haven't had time to check on it yet. Any google searches including "smell" just lead to answers about cycles, but I have 2 other tank and I'm sure this is not biological activity. I may also have to check my decor, but I also doubt that could create a smell this strong.

Any suggestions would be useful!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I recently set up an Aqueon Evolve 4 tank and after 5 days I am starting to notice a bad plastic or rubber smell coming from my tank. Has anyone had any trouble with the water pumps from these units before?
My heater is unplugged so I know it's not coming from there. It may just be a bad pump or an easy fix but I haven't had time to check on it yet. Any google searches including "smell" just lead to answers about cycles, but I have 2 other tank and I'm sure this is not biological activity. I may also have to check my decor, but I also doubt that could create a smell this strong.

Any suggestions would be useful!
Check your impeller, sometimes they put too much grease on them.
Also, yes artificial decor can put off strong smells if they are leeching the paint or resin in them.
It can also mean the filter is overheating and the wires are getting too hot, and putting off the plastic or rubber smell.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pull the pomp, make sure nothing has gotten into the intake to cause damage. Setup a bucket in a sink and test out the pump. Did you turn down the flow at all?

Aqueon is good about replacing them. You can also get pumps just like it from other brands. I have a small pump just like it I got from petmountain.com that I use when doing water changes on my 30 gallon, but it could serve as a backup if my aqueon ever quits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.