Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an Aqueon Edge Evolve 8 for pretty inexpensive. I am absolutely in love with it or well I was. I like how the heater and filter are both hidden behind the scene and the way the actual tank looks is amazing. I only have two draw backs with the tank so far. One is the lighting. I'm not sure if there are many other lights that would fit the way the light does on this tank that would work for plants. I have read that the stock LED is enough for plants and I have all low light plants but I do have a decent amount of foliage in the tank and want to ensure everyone gets their time in the sun so to speak. If anyone knows of a good light that fits on the back of these aquariums or where to order another of the stock lighting it would be most appreciated.

Now the main problem and the reason I am currently kicking myself over this tank. The lid.I thought that the two piece lid would hopefully be enough to ensure a betta doesn't jump. It would appear I was wrong. I just found my Male Pk EE behind my night stand dried out when I got home. I am not sure how he got out or if he might have managed to get through the area the water lets out of the back to the filtration area but something obviously has to change with this tank if he could end up outside of it like that. My idea so far was to take a piece of plexiglass and that is large enough to cover the entire top of the tank (both parts of the lids), cut out the small area for the light and cords and than proceed to silicone it to the lids already in place. effectively covering all the (albeit small) holes in the top of the tank and effectively making it a one piece lid system.

Do you guys think this would work? Has anyone does something similar? Also does anyone know any clever ways to restrict the access to back of the tank (filtration/heating) area so that I could possibly start a colony of rcs and get them breeding before adding in another fish?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I recently got an Aqueon Edge Evolve 8 for pretty inexpensive. I am absolutely in love with it or well I was. I like how the heater and filter are both hidden behind the scene and the way the actual tank looks is amazing. I only have two draw backs with the tank so far. One is the lighting. I'm not sure if there are many other lights that would fit the way the light does on this tank that would work for plants. I have read that the stock LED is enough for plants and I have all low light plants but I do have a decent amount of foliage in the tank and want to ensure everyone gets their time in the sun so to speak. If anyone knows of a good light that fits on the back of these aquariums or where to order another of the stock lighting it would be most appreciated.

Now the main problem and the reason I am currently kicking myself over this tank. The lid.I thought that the two piece lid would hopefully be enough to ensure a betta doesn't jump. It would appear I was wrong. I just found my Male Pk EE behind my night stand dried out when I got home. I am not sure how he got out or if he might have managed to get through the area the water lets out of the back to the filtration area but something obviously has to change with this tank if he could end up outside of it like that. My idea so far was to take a piece of plexiglass and that is large enough to cover the entire top of the tank (both parts of the lids), cut out the small area for the light and cords and than proceed to silicone it to the lids already in place. effectively covering all the (albeit small) holes in the top of the tank and effectively making it a one piece lid system.

Do you guys think this would work? Has anyone does something similar? Also does anyone know any clever ways to restrict the access to back of the tank (filtration/heating) area so that I could possibly start a colony of rcs and get them breeding before adding in another fish?
I don't have an evolve, but my tank came without a lid, so I traced out the size I needed and mesaured the amount of room I needed for the filter, and took it to a glass shop and they cut it for me. I bought the piece of plexiglass, so it only cost me $5 to have it cut. That's an option for you.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have 2 Evolve 8, and an Evolve 4. I had a betta get in the back section of the 4, and still not sure how he did it. I now keep the water level a bit lower now. Did the fish jump through the feeding hole?

I bought additional lights for mine so could get different plants. These clip on like the stock lights do, then I use the blue led's for when it's time for light out.
This is how mine are set up. I just love these tanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I ended up doing was going out and buying some filter pads for Hydor canister filters and cramming in front of where the actual filter cartridge is in the tank. I hope this prevents anything but the smallest of debris from getting to the cartridge and blocking any future residents from taking the same leap of faith my previous betta did.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The stock light should be more than enough. I have grown plenty of various plants with the stock light. Then again, I have the 4 not the 8, so could be wrong. There are plenty of LED clip on replacements that would work. Be careful not to go too high light.

I am also not sure how the lid works on the 8, but on my 4 there are no issues except the feeding hole in the front. I have a cap just covering that, haven't had any problems. Now my other betta tank, a Marienland 3 gallon, I have had two jump out now. The first did not make it as unfortunately no one noticed right away. I was so upset with myself, he was the longest I had a betta, and felt like it was my fault. The second however is fine, caught him in time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.