Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....tonight (actually an hour or so ago) i was planning on testing Spike's water/scrubbing off the brown algae that accumulated. Ran the test, *hums to self*.....ammonia spiking?? Maybe bad test strip....ran another....ammonia IS spiking!!!
Scoops up fishy *whom is begging for food (or attention) as always* and begins to drain tank down to 30 or 50%
I already had a scenery idea spark so I was pulling plants. I had placed a somewhat bushy plant in the corner beside the heater. And when I pulled that plant out popped a pleco!!! My reactions: :shock:.....:question:.....:evil:
My attention was now turned to my LOVELY husband whom had been asking me "why don't you get one of those tank sucker fishys??" To which I've explained time and time again as to WHY one should NOT be stuffed into Spike's tank. "It will get too big, it poos too much, it will cause ammonia spiking, Spike may not be happy about his new friend etc etc etc"
After changing water, adding new scenery and conditioning water I storm into the bedroom where a sleeping husband awaits me. I fling the covers off him and ask...no DEMAND "did you put a pleco in Spike's tank????!!!!" To which a bumbling husband says "twas just trying to help"
Now from day 1 he was warned that I am very OCD about my fish tanks and there are only ONE approved person who touches my tanks and she only touches my tanks when I go out of town. He knows better than to question me when it comes to their PERFECT set ups. He was also warned again of my OCD behavior when we purchased the 75 gallon.

Needless to say, he is now sleeping on the couch and the dogs have taken his spot on the bed. Mr. Clean (as I have temporarily dubbed him) is now chilling in the 2.5 gallon hospital tank. All of our towels are currently at mom n dads (forgot to finish the laundry xD) and the 75 gallon has no lid. Tomorrow I will pick up the towels, set up the 75 gallon/plop him in there.

He looks so pale/there was TONS of poo in that corner. Lord knows Spike was a butt head to him/he was hiding from him. I had wondered why Spike was getting so worked up about that corner. I just figured he saw himself and was buffing up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Poor hubby probably thinks he did good. But no seriously I'd have probably reacted the same way. He ignored your wishes and that's enough to peev anyone off. I hope mr clean is ok and I hope he'll love his new home. How big is he now?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Aww...poor Pleco! Good thing you have a decent sized tank for him. Perhaps when it gets bigger your hubby will realize why it shouldn't have been in the betta tank...

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor hubby probably thinks he did good. But no seriously I'd have probably reacted the same way. He ignored your wishes and that's enough to peev anyone off. I hope mr clean is ok and I hope he'll love his new home. How big is he now?
I know he was trying to do right. Now that I've had to night to sleep it off I understand and appreciate the fact that he was wanting to help. I told him if he wanted to help me so bad then take me to Petco so I can get a nerite snail like I had been asking him. My car is currently in the shop, so there isn't much I can do.

Aww...poor Pleco! Good thing you have a decent sized tank for him. Perhaps when it gets bigger your hubby will realize why it shouldn't have been in the betta tank...
One would hope so. He would probably just mention how long it took the pleco to get that big:roll:

On a good note, Mr. Clean's scales have darkened up. He seems happier. I did a 30% water change in the 2.5 gallon to reduce the ammonia/gave him an algae tablet. So far it seems like clinging to something upside down is his favorite thing.

·
Registered
901 Posts
But you get to play with a 75 gallon tank now! The world is your aquascaping oyster!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But you get to play with a 75 gallon tank now! The world is your aquascaping oyster!
LOL
I need more plants!!!
Why does just about every live aquatic plant have to be green?!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but I ran across this place (no idea how reputable they are, but I've been having fun looking at their stock!) while daydreaming about the sorority tank I want to build after our family vacation in July.

http://www.azgardens.com/default.aspx

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
haha! I hope he learned his lesson. It's also nice that he wants to help, why not ask for his help when deciding between two plants, or two fish? That way you know it will be safe and what you want, and he gets to help? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha! I hope he learned his lesson. It's also nice that he wants to help, why not ask for his help when deciding between two plants, or two fish? That way you know it will be safe and what you want, and he gets to help? Just a thought.
I've always asked for his help when pertaining to those things. He's helped decide what the 75 gallon is going to be home to. What plants we are going to be using. Where the tank is going to get set up. What substrate, what decor, etc, etc, etc.

just gimme that neitrate snail :p

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Oh my! I certainly would have been peeved too!

My other half knows that he is not to touch my tanks unless explicitly told to. I reinforced that law after Odin threw a tantrum to his turtle not getting put back where he thought it should be.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, for a minute i thought the pleco had arrived with one of the live plants you bought. You didn't see him (pleco) and other time? Wait...arent plecos nocturnal?
Nope. Judging by all the poo he left I think he just stayed in that corner.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
If you can get a decent light, try sunset Hygro. It's PINK. The brighter the light the pinker it'll be, it'll live in low light just turn mostly green.
Poor pleco. :(
At least you have somewhere to put him! I can't imagine if that happened to me, my biggest tank is a 20. xD
You'll want to pick up some real driftwood, plecos need to chew it for health reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Try rotala wallachi and ludwigia repens. :) They'll do ok in low light. Flourish Iron helps them keep their colour. :)
If you can get a decent light, try sunset Hygro. It's PINK. The brighter the light the pinker it'll be, it'll live in low light just turn mostly green.
Poor pleco. :(
At least you have somewhere to put him! I can't imagine if that happened to me, my biggest tank is a 20. xD
You'll want to pick up some real driftwood, plecos need to chew it for health reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

TYVM for the recommendations. I've been wanting some Dwarf Lily
Would the driftwood affect living conditions for african cichlids?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Ooo, pleco is not a good mix with African cichlids. Two opposite ends of the spectrum.
He'd probably be okay- they've been tank bred for so long that they should take it.
I'd boil the would several times to get as much tannin out as you can.
Also you know that there's no point in planting an African cichlid tank as they'll shred everything up, right? They just need rock caves.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ooo, pleco is not a good mix with African cichlids. Two opposite ends of the spectrum.
He'd probably be okay- they've been tank bred for so long that they should take it.
I'd boil the would several times to get as much tannin out as you can.
Also you know that there's no point in planting an African cichlid tank as they'll shred everything up, right? They just need rock caves.
Posted via Mobile Device
I heard of that
I led hubs to the bala sharks at Petco today and hes reaction was "ooooooooo"
I think it may actually turn into a shark tank. I'm not sure. 1 bala can get pretty big tho :p

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Hmm. Bala shark can reach around 12 inches, so they'd need 125 gallons. (does not belong in petco if you ask me).
If you want a shark tank, red tailed shark or rainbow shark, a group of 4-5 I think would be great (prettier if you ask me!) Plants should do okay, not sure about tank mates but the pleco could live with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.