Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I got my betta about a month ago and since I got him, I noticed he was mirror chasing. I thought that this habit would die down once he got used to his own reflection, but it never did. He has not been eating recently and is constipated. I feed him mostly pellets and occasionally freeze-dried brine shrimp. Today, I turned on the light and he came out from where he was sleeping and I noticed there was a stripe on him. After some Googling, I found out this was a stress stripe. I was wondering if there was any way to prevent him from mirror chasing, or to at least reduce the levels of stress he has. The only tank mates he has are a handful of ghost shrimp that doesn't bother him and he doesn't bother them. The temperature is about 78-80. Thank you!!

·
Registered
Akila, Atticus and Prince
919 Posts
Bettas should only see their reflection for not longer than 5 minutes. It is normal for them to flare and chase the "intruder" out of their territory. They will flare and chase the mirror when they see themselves. It is normal for them to chase the mirror. How long are you keeping the mirror in front of him? It is good to do it for 1-2 minutes every few days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bettas should only see their reflection for not longer than 5 minutes. It is normal for them to flare and chase the "intruder" out of their territory. They will flare and chase the mirror when they see themselves. It is normal for them to chase the mirror. How long are you keeping the mirror in front of him? It is good to do it for 1-2 minutes every few days.
It is not an actual mirror, it is the side of the tank that he sees his reflection in. Sorry, I should've specified!

·
Registered
Akila, Atticus and Prince
919 Posts
Ohh I think he's glass surfing. My female did that when I put her in her new tank. You can try using 2 pieces of white printer paper. One on each side against the glass. That's what made my betta stop glass surfing. If he doesn't stop, try testing the water. Poor water quality can cause glass surfing too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh I think he's glass surfing. My female did that when I put her in her new tank. You can try using 2 pieces of white printer paper. One on each side against the glass. That's what made my betta stop glass surfing. If he doesn't stop, try testing the water. Poor water quality can cause glass surfing too.
!!! tysm!! I will try that :D <3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts