Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be missing scales and some seem raised? Ph 7.8 has a heater and filter ammonia 0.25 did an immediate water change any no nitrites and high nitrates any advice

·
Registered
627 Posts
Could you circle on the picture the area you think is missing a scale? Because to me, he seems perfectly fine and healthy looking! Scales don't seem raised at all, and the red area on his head/back is just part of his natural coloring.

Missing or damages scales are almost always the result of a physical injury, not illness. Bettas are curious and love poking their noses into places to explore, which sometimes results in them scraping themselves up a bit. Check the decorations in your tank to make sure they don't have any too-small holes (your thumb should fit through them easily) or particularly rough spots, and keep an eye on him for places where he may be getting into trouble.

To treat a scrape, you just need to keep the water clean, and you can add tannins with IAL or Rooibos tea if you'd like. I wouldn't add AQ salt or any medicine unless the scrape looks infected after a couple of days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for all the helpful info rana, sorry about the late reply. there was a loose scale on his right side, I uploaded the wrong image, I am happy to report however it is healing very nicely and can hardly tell that there was anything there. Recently upgraded him to a 10g with some more live plants and he is doing very well, hope your well and safe during these troubling times good thing we've got our fish to keep us sane haha, peace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts