1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes, but tank is 2 degrees colder for some reason. Working on it.
What temperature is your tank? 76, should be 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? None besides filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None.

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum, now Hikari pellets. Frozen bloodworms once a week + frozen brine shrimp several times a week.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 7-8 Pellets a day in 4 pellet morning/night chunks, or 4 pellets and a small slice of brine shrimp.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Fish in cycle so once a day or when ammonia is rising
What percentage of water did you change? 50-70%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum every change
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Quickstart, Prime, double dosed when ammonia is high with the water change.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0, but sometimes it rises to .25PPM which I will immediately do a water change and prime.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 (at 5-10 out of the tap)
pH: 7.8-8
Hardness (GH): unsure, I think 60 (water softener system in the house)
Alkalinity (KH): unsure, I think 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Noticed it (eyes) since I got him.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Hasn't changed to my knowledge
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lately I feel like he is a bit more active/spends more time at the glass but could be wrong
Is your Betta still eating? Yep
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No specific treatments
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Don't think so
How long have you owned your Betta? 2-3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Besides I think a small swim bladder issue, none.
_

Hey guys, nothing like an emergency here but I had some questions.

My fish has always had this weird thing with his eyes. They have this weird coloring on them. I did my best to photograph it, but it's near impossible to take a good picture of something so small. They have this weird.... color or patch on top of his eye. Today I woke up, and felt like his eyes looked different. I could be wrong, or I could be right. It seems like there's a ring around his iris's that are colored the same as his scales. It's just so hard to tell. There seems to be a light dusting of color (no, I don't think it's velvet. it matches his pink/gray color not gold) on top of his eyeball closer to the pupil. It looks like someone took spray paint and painted a light coat matching his scale color. It doesn't look like a visible layer on top of his eye, it looks baked into his cornea. It is really hard to describe. I don't know if this is just how he was born (noticed it when I got him in the store) or something more is going on. He's a king male halfmoon, so I don't think he is susceptible to the dragonscale eye condition, but I don't know as his scales don't look like a normal crowntail/rose tail betta.

Sidenote: Also, I want to see what people see about his overall health. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Overall he seems healthy. Fins are in good shape, eats fine, active. Just bringing in some fresh eyes to see what they think.

Reptile Lizard Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Amphibian

Water Liquid Hood Plant Fluid

Fish Fin Electric blue Metal Marine biology

Plant Leaf Beak Bird Feather

Plant Reptile Organism Terrestrial plant Scaled reptile

Plant Terrestrial plant Reptile Tree Grass

Eye Water Fin Fish Underwater

Water Organism Plant Liquid Fin

Green Botany Terrestrial plant Beak Feather

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Bettas with a strong metallic or dragon scaled top layer and a full or partial mask (head same color as body) often look like yours.

The top layer of your beautiful Betta has thicker scales - or, more precisely, thicker appearing scales.

As the fish grows, the scales are increasing in density/guanophores and these structural color will be visible also on his eyes. You wouldn‘t recognize if he didn‘t have these scales also in the eye area and his head was simply black.

Depending on age and genetics, they can cover one or both eyes more or less.

Usually, the less dense/thick the scales appear and the more of the eye stays clear of it, the less of a sight problem it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts