Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Cornelius suddenly has this odd fuzz on one of his gills. I need to figure out what this is as quickly as possible so I can treat him, and I leave to go out of town for three days tomorrow and don't know how I'm going to leave him when he's so ill. I also have an Aquabid buy coming in next week and don't want him to catch this!

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 80* farenheit.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Tank is divided into 4 sections, he has one tank mate. NOTE: A few weeks ago, there was a cupped male in the tank who died of dropsy. Is it possible he caught something from that?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio-gold and frozen bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Three pellets twice a day, six pellets per day total. Once a week he gets a small clump of frozen bloodworms.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly for cycling purposes.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stresscoat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White fuzziness on one gill plate. Looks almost as if the gill is rotting. I think there's some blood, but it's hard tovtell with his coloration.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Listless, clamping of the pectoral fin on the affected side.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He was removed from the tank into a QT container.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He lived with my brother for awhile in poor conditions which caused most of his fins to be eaten away by ammonia.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown.

**Pictures being uploaded shortly**

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Left side on the gill plate. He hates the camera so he got a little more active when I took pics, but he's been clamping that pectoral fin against the affected area.

This shows the overall condition of his fins. He's never been super healthy since his stay with my brother.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I think this might be columnaris...if someone could give me a second opinion, that'd be fantastic. I have AQ salt so the moment I get this double checked I can begin treating him. Also, if it is columnaris, how do I disinfect the tank? It's finally making some cycling progress, so I don't want to change all the water. But I definitely don't want the other fish in the tank getting sick.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Good that you got him in Qt...its hard to tell from the pic what that is on the gill area...can you get a closer pic...

I would go ahead and start aquarium salt 3tsp/gal, tannins and water changes in the QT container-I would also try to get the temp a bit lower-in the 76-77F range for treatment.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this Tx water steep for 30min and use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today-this will get him acclimated to the treatment water.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water- start 50% daily for 3 days-On day 4 make 100%-repeat this schedule for 10 days....
On day 11 start making 25% water changes using fresh dechlorinated water to get him re-acclimated back to the tank for 2 days-then use his tank water for the water changes for 2 more days-

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

If the area changes, gets worse, behavior changes, change in symptoms-post...if he gets better before the 10 days-don't stop the treatment-do a complete 10 days in the Tx water in the bare QT container-you may need to float the QT in a heated tank to maintain the temp-and be sure the premixed Tx water is pretty close in temp for the water changes too....

On the 20gal filtered-I would make a 50% water only change now and weekly between the regular 50% with vacuum weekly-only vacuum one time a week since you are in the process of cycling

Keep us post...

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I would not try to treat that naturally, but your call. Kanaplex (Kanamyacin by Seachem) would be what I'd try to find. If you can't find any in your area Furan 2 may be helpful and in some cases Maracyn 2 may be effective but it wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...he's really starting to scare me. Unfortunately I had to go out of town today and I have no one to look after him. I would have taken him me, but it's only 5 degrees in the far north and I didn't want to chance it. I'll start treating him when I get home on Monday. He's a fighter, so with any luck he'll still be ok. Callistra, I don't think our pet stores carry those meds, unless Petco has them. And by the time they ship it'd probably be too late. I'll by them in case anyone else gets sick though. I have an Aquabid fish shipping in on Monday, and I don't want to take any chances of him catching this!

A few questions...
Can caffeine free green tea act as tannins? I'm out and need something for the water until new ones ship in.
Will the water changes effectively disinfect the tank?

Also, these are the clearest pics I could get...my digital camera is beginning to die on me. Basically the scales look like they're peeling off of his face, and there's white fuzzy where they have fallen off or rotted away. I can't tell if this fuzzy is some sort of fungus or if it's his skin. It's gotten quite swollen.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Petco carries Maracyns and API meds. You should be able to get some of that. You might also surprise yourself by searching for aquariums on yellowpages.com and find a local shop you weren't aware of.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got home later than planned due to some icy storms. I ran into the house, praying that Cornelius would either have passed away quietly or wasn't any worse. At first I thought he had passed, but he was still alive. He was sickeningly pale and had developed a similar rot on the other side of his body. When I noticed the pineconing and his struggle for air even in such a little amount of water, I decided the humane thing to do was put him down. My mom read a thread on here about ways to put fish down and said that we should use the ice water method. I was apprehensive, but agreed to it. After watching it with me, she agreed that we would have clove oil on hand from now on. Thankfully, he still went quickly.

I appreciate the responses to this thread and definitely plan on picking up some more medications so I'm prepared in the future. Thank you for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts