Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two new betta fish.. the last one i had i never really focused on but the new ones i have i take better care of then i thought i ever would.. they both are somewhat worrying me though.. the first one i got about 2 weeks ago(spaz) was almost dead.. his color has come back mostly but he starts to turn white sometimes.. and hes red.. i cant figure out why... well.. the other fish is neon blue (neon) and i got him a week ago.. he was completely blue for a few days but now he is partially brown and i dont like the looks of it... i know there is something wrong and i cant figure out what.. there in two separate tanks and i keeps the water clean and i keep them fed.. can anyone tell me if something is wrong with them? also i need to transport them 6 hours up to maine this summer and i really hope it wont be bad for them...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune.... It'll help to answer your question if you give us more details so we can determine the cause:
What size are your two tanks?
How often do you change the water?
What kind of water conditioner do you use?
Do you add any other chemicals other than the water conditioner?
Do you have a heater?
What's the temperature of your tanks?
(if the tanks were large enough) Did you cycle the two tanks before adding your fish?
Does it seem like they have other health problems other than turning colors (clamped fins, white spots, fins deteriorating, less of an appetite, bloating, etc.)?
*~*~*~*~*
Sorry for the 20 questions, but usually answering them can make the difference in telling what could be effecting them- whether it's water quality, parasites, temperature, sickness... it really makes a difference! If you can manage to get your fish back to health, they'll definitely be able to survive the trip- Some sites people bid on bettas and are shipped from places like Tailand and STILL manage to be okay xD

·
Registered
882 Posts
pix might help determine the cause. Usually color loss is due to stress, does he have lines?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes he does have lines... the tank is one gallon for the crown tail and 1.5 for the other one..
i change the water to help keep the water warm but i don't do a full cleaning of the water unless it needs it
And i have yet to get a good sense of how much each of them actually eat..
and the water conditioner is hard for me to replace regularly because I've been having money issues and the conditioner hasn't been at the top of my list..
sorry it took me so long to reply to this..

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
color fading and stress stripes can be from: stress, water quality, and illness. If I am misunderstanding you please say so...you are not able to use tap water conditioner for every water change? That right there would be the main concern. I get my large bottle for 8.00, and it lasts me and my 12 bettas a month and a half.

How often are the water changes? per day? every two days? once a week?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay so i will definitely make water conditioner a main concern to buy it.. and i change the water like 25% every day.. but sometimes im to busy and its every other day.. :/ a full water change isn't something that i like doing because my crown tail gets visibly stressed out.. and ive yet to do one to my other betta..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yep, lack of conditioner can definitely make a difference.. A friend of mine tried changing the water without conditioner before and the poor betta looked almost like it was on deaths door... Once she got conditioner, though, it was almost like it never happened and the betta was swimming around all happy ^.^ Anyway, you should look into prime- it seems kind of pricey at first, BUT... the fact that 1mL can treat 10 gallons, all you need is about 2-3 drops per gallon! It goes a long way and for someone having money troubles, Prime does everything for you AND saves money in the long run!
Is there any specific reason why your crown tail gets stressed out when having full 100% changes? Just curious 'cause there might be a way to work with the little guy rather than against... Probably help to get something bigger (less water changes/responsibility is usually less stress on not just you, but your fish) BUT! I'm assuming that's not quite so doable since you're having problems getting conditioner for your bettas....
Otherwise (don't take this the wrong way, it's supposed to be constructive criticism), if you don't have time to properly care for your fish then you might not be in a position to really give them what they need. Not saying your a bad owner, it just sounds like this is something that would be more suitable for you when you have the means to take care of your pets- It should be a bond that benefits the both of you where you can enjoy your fish the way you should be able to and your fish can be the happiest little critters on the planet ^.^

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
For water changes, I use a cup to scoop out some males. Others are difficult to hunt down with a net or cup so I just do 90% water change, with a gravel siphon to get all the poo and leave the betta in their bowl/tank. This way there is less stress, no moving, etc :) just a tip :)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
1 gallon tanks need 100% changes every 3 days, with ideally a 50% change in between. They also need to be heated, but this poses a complication since heaters for this size tend to be cheap and don't work great like the ones you can get for 2.5g+. Yes, as previously stated, you need to use conditioner.. like.. now.. don't wait. Typically bettas who are put in unconditioned water would have expired by now.

Stress due to full water changes is due to a change in water parameters.. temperature and ph. Aging the water a day or so (fill up very well cleaned gallon milk jugs or gallon paint (unused from store) can help with this, if the ph isn't stable from the tap. Otherwise what you want to watch is his temperature. Once you get the hang of it you should be able to set the tap and refill the water to the same temp as before. When keeping bettas having an in tank thermometer is a must.

You can also cup your betta, set him out while you rinse things and then refill the bowl and float him for about 20min, then start spooning a few tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10minutes of so, several times before you rerelease.

·
Registered
678 Posts
calistra: Actually, I just want to point out something- I'm assuming it will depend on the water quality of the tap, but bettas are hardy enough to live up to a month or two without dechlorinated water... I know this because as a kid, I didn't know these things and am guilty of having bettas in these sort of crappy water conditions... And with that being said, it's definitely still recommended to get conditioner ASAP because let's face it: no conditioner = straight up torture... and no animal should be treated that way large or small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will say this.... the last betta i owned died after 7 years. not once did i do anything with the water... i was 7... it died when i was 14... the water in my house is not bad for the fish...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Well, personally it doesn't sound like these bettas are as hardy as the betta you previously had so you might want to take conditioner into consideration regardless. In proper conditions you really notice the difference between surviving and thriving. I like to think with life, the length of how a creature has lived doesn't necessarily mean it was experienced to its greatest potential....

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well, like my Mister who was 7 before he passed... But my newer bettas are not as hardy. Bettas are given credit to being hardy, however, not all bettas are the same... I had Dusk who was really a drama mama, and could not handle simple water changes like most of my bettas.

However, I agree with the length of life doesn't matter...it's the quality in which they lived. My friend's golfish lived in a bowl for 10 years. How? NO IDEA. But was it truly happy with once a week cleaning, in a small space?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am ordering water conditioner tomorrow as well as a heater and a bigger tank for the fish with a divider... i am going to take care of them because i am slowly learning the proper things to do thanks to this website so thank you :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
wh00t wh00t!! ^.^ That's awesome to hear!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
No problem :) another tip for ya! Divided tanks are hard to do... I suggest tons of nice soft plants (fabric, gel, live) to completely cover the divider's sides so they do not freak out at each other 24/7 :lol: This will also help keep them safe from sickness - since they won't have stress.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, all bettas are different... the ones today may not be as hardy as the ones you used to have. And the tap water treatment today may be different from the tap water you had as a kid. You can look up your water company and find out what they put in it.

Chlorine evaporates out of water if you leave it to stand overnight, so until you get water conditioner, you should at least do that. Chloramine doesn't evaporate out, though, so you still need the conditioner.

Agreed to the post above - I do 90% changes when my guy is in quarantine because moving him stresses him out.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
that is what we are here for :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the two fish now share a tank (with a divider) and they only freak out when i feed them.. well the little crowntail freaks at the bigger fish... kinda funny somtimes.. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts