Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
6 Bettas, 4 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 2 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often, we make the little things in life we love feel special, but how often do they do things that make us feel special that we're theirs?

October 19th, 2020. I walked into a pet store to gather some things for the bettas I had. I glanced over the lot of you, as per usual and saw you with your tattered fins. You looked so defeated, not flaring at the others, barely looking my way, and not reacting when I put my finger to your cup. You were a beautiful little darling, reminded me of roses. And as I always do, I walked up to my mum to show off how pretty you were and she went, without me saying anything, "You don't need anymore fish." I only had four at the time (Oregano, Azerbaijan, Eridanus, and Kristobal). Well, my little brother came up, saw you, and started jumping to your defense. It wasn't long before I walked out with you and was already thinking of names.
Your name, like your brothers now and the ones before you, fitted how you looked. Remember how I called you a rose? Your name was greek and meant, "a follower of Demeter". And Demeter was the goddess of agriculture and we've all seen the rows of roses people have or the dozens of bouquets in the stores.
You were lively. Untrusting but sweet. Out of the six years I've been doing this and over the dozen of bettas I've been blessed with, you were the only one who ever made me feel like I was the special one for having you. You hated with a burning passion when others took care of you when I was gone. You flared, refused to come out unless needed, and was overall very cold to everyone. Even my mother, who was basically your second caretaker. I was told the stories, you silly little thing, I know what you did.
I apologize that I couldn't find anything to help you these last couple months and that when you were going I wasn't able to save you. But where I couldn't help you, you helped me. Through every rough spot I saw your happy greeting and it reminded me that the little things in life are the best things in life.
I hope that one day we can meet again, be able to put behind us the sufferings of life, and continue our journey together over the rainbow bridge. Until then, Swim in Peace little one, you'll be greatly missed.

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: FishandBirdLover

Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, & Pinky.
I'm so sorry. 馃槶 馃槶 I almost cried reading this. 馃槶馃挄

Reactions: Eridanus

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Registered
Its alright, at least he's somewhere better now you know?
Yeah. My parents don't think that fish or animals will go anywhere because they don't have a soul but where we would be going there are cats and dogs and lions and sheep so maybe?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. My parents don't think that fish or animals will go anywhere because they don't have a soul but where we would be going there are cats and dogs and lions and sheep so maybe?
I sure hope so! I don't know if I could live with the thought of never seeing my nonhuman family again.

Registered
~Neo (鈾 red vt betta) ~"girlie" (鈾 sunburst platy) ~Otto (鈾 oto catfish) ~Archibald ( 鈾 mys. snail)
Well, assuming there's a heaven and a God, or whatever you'd want to call it, we're all God's creatures right? And what's a soul but the energy that drives every living thing? That same energy is what leaves us when we die. And since energy can't be created or destroyed, only altered, I think it's a pretty fair assumption that every living thing has a soul and at least goes somewhere after this life. I don't know where that somewhere would be, but it would make sense for all of us to return to the source - that being God. God created all things, so it's likely that all things would return to God in the end. That's how I think of it anyway. Besides, if we're talking about the Bible, in the book of Isaiah it mentions animals of all types living together peacefully in Heaven, predator and prey. There are other religious texts that parallel this too, if you're not looking for biblical references. And even if you're not a fan of religious text, just the scientific probability of energy and connectivity is enough to convince me at least in an ambiguous sense (in my opinion anyway - I know there are many who disagree, myself included for a very long time).

I don't mean to get all philosophical, but why wouldn't fish have a soul? And what determines a soul anyway? Emotions? Self-awareness? Fish have proven to experience both. Even goldfish in a recent study use mirrors to remove marks on their own bodies, which is the most used (if not flawed based on the animals' perception and vision) study for self awareness in animals. I can see why some would believe that fish are soulless, but I just don't believe that's the case.

I'm happy that Dimitri was able to teach you some very valuable lessons in life; that it's the little things that matter. As people age, we tend to forget that, and I hope you never do. There is so much happiness in those little things, and sometimes you carry them with you for a long time if you let it happen. And I do believe you'll see Dimitri again one day. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, assuming there's a heaven and a God, or whatever you'd want to call it, we're all God's creatures right? And what's a soul but the energy that drives every living thing? That same energy is what leaves us when we die. And since energy can't be created or destroyed, only altered, I think it's a pretty fair assumption that every living thing has a soul and at least goes somewhere after this life. I don't know where that somewhere would be, but it would make sense for all of us to return to the source - that being God. God created all things, so it's likely that all things would return to God in the end. That's how I think of it anyway. Besides, if we're talking about the Bible, in the book of Isaiah it mentions animals of all types living together peacefully in Heaven, predator and prey. There are other religious texts that parallel this too, if you're not looking for biblical references. And even if you're not a fan of religious text, just the scientific probability of energy and connectivity is enough to convince me at least in an ambiguous sense (in my opinion anyway - I know there are many who disagree, myself included for a very long time).

I don't mean to get all philosophical, but why wouldn't fish have a soul? And what determines a soul anyway? Emotions? Self-awareness? Fish have proven to experience both. Even goldfish in a recent study use mirrors to remove marks on their own bodies, which is the most used (if not flawed based on the animals' perception and vision) study for self awareness in animals. I can see why some would believe that fish are soulless, but I just don't believe that's the case.

I'm happy that Dimitri was able to teach you some very valuable lessons in life; that it's the little things that matter. As people age, we tend to forget that, and I hope you never do. There is so much happiness in those little things, and sometimes you carry them with you for a long time if you let it happen. And I do believe you'll see Dimitri again one day. ;)
This was really interesting to read, I personally enjoy hearing other people's opinions on things such as this.
I also agree. I've been told animals don't have souls, but I've always personally thought that since God created both us and animals, why wouldn't they get to go somewhere too? I never saw God as someone abandoning his creatures to nowhere when they passed. If that makes sense.

Also, I was not aware of that study. That's fascinating! Mind if I use that tidbit to argue against people who say animals have no feelings?

Agreed, and it's sad how we lose sight of that. Especially nowadays when everything seems to be focused on the big things. And thank you!

Reactions: SammiDraco

Registered
~Neo (鈾 red vt betta) ~"girlie" (鈾 sunburst platy) ~Otto (鈾 oto catfish) ~Archibald ( 鈾 mys. snail)
This was really interesting to read, I personally enjoy hearing other people's opinions on things such as this.
I also agree. I've been told animals don't have souls, but I've always personally thought that since God created both us and animals, why wouldn't they get to go somewhere too? I never saw God as someone abandoning his creatures to nowhere when they passed. If that makes sense.

Also, I was not aware of that study. That's fascinating! Mind if I use that tidbit to argue against people who say animals have no feelings?

Agreed, and it's sad how we lose sight of that. Especially nowadays when everything seems to be focused on the big things. And thank you!
Anytime 馃槉
What you said makes perfect sense, and I agree. And yes, absolutely use whatever you like in debates. I don't really think of it as winning an argument but rather just sharing information. At least that's how it should be. Although don't just take my word for it. (Never take someone's word for it, always find out the truth for yourself, and cross reference what you find to make sure you understand.) I'll post a few links to some articles that talk about these sort of things. If you have some time for some light reading. Turns out I may have been wrong about the goldfish, as most of the studies were done on a other fish. But it proves the same point. And even made some points that I didn't previously think about. After reading it makes you wonder, if this is what we know about fish, what else is there that we don't know about the rest of the livings things on this planet?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anytime 馃槉
What you said makes perfect sense, and I agree. And yes, absolutely use whatever you like in debates. I don't really think of it as winning an argument but rather just sharing information. At least that's how it should be. Although don't just take my word for it. (Never take someone's word for it, always find out the truth for yourself, and cross reference what you find to make sure you understand.) I'll post a few links to some articles that talk about these sort of things. If you have some time for some light reading. Turns out I may have been wrong about the goldfish, as most of the studies were done on a other fish. But it proves the same point. And even made some points that I didn't previously think about. After reading it makes you wonder, if this is what we know about fish, what else is there that we don't know about the rest of the livings things on this planet?

That's true, and thank you so much!!

Reactions: SammiDraco

Registered

Well, where you would go when you die depends on your relationship with God. So, I disagree on the part that eventually everything would return to Him when we die. Sorry if I make you uncomfortable. But, I agree with you on 1 part, why wouldn't fish go somewhere when they die?

Registered
Well, where you would go when you die depends on your relationship with God. So, I disagree on the part that eventually everything would return to Him when we die. Sorry if I make you uncomfortable. But, I agree with you on 1 part, why wouldn't fish go somewhere when they die?
Oh I'm not uncomfortable at all. I have kind of a non traditional "belief" that's based off of way too many things to mention right now. But I fault no one for their own beliefs and their own relationships with God (or whatever they'd want to call it). Rather I'm grateful to hear when someone does believe, even if it's different than my own. (As long as it's not one that hurts others as a fundamental aspect.)

I've spent my entire childhood, teens, twenties, and a part of my thirties having no belief at all and literally being incapable of faith. I was raised christian so my lack of faith wasn't from my upbringing. I guess it was just a quality I was born with, and took some pretty extreme things to give me the ability to have faith. I've always envied those who have faith, and it's always made me sad to see someone turn away from their faith, even if I didn't personally believe in it myself.

At this point, what I feel certain about is a very small portion of what makes up a religion. The idea of God and a creator of all things - and that this God is somehow watching us, puts His influence on things, and loves us in a way that we probably could never comprehend - that's a belief that I'm totally on board with. As for the rest of it, like where we go when we die, what I mentioned earlier was mostly an idea rather than a belief based off of scientific and pseudo scientific things. While it lightly parallels some eastern religions, I think it's more closely related to Star Wars than anything else... with the exception of the midi-chlorian anyway. 馃構 As far as religions go, it's a little too much for me to fully believe one or the other, so I just sort of start with what I know or do believe in and go from there.

There are definitely aspects of a few religions - abrahamic ones included - that I'm inclined to lean towards, either because something just makes sense to me or because I've been somehow convinced. But, while may not believe in it, I simply cannot deny the possibility of a Hell or at least a place or type of existence that would live as an eternity apart from God, say if we spent this life in absence of that relationship with Him. This is why I'm almost never uncomfortable when someone mentions a belief that's different than my own idea. Heck, I don't know what's gonna happen! I'm only doing what I can to understand what little there is to be understood, at least in my capacity. I've always respected those who have more faith than me. I kinda feel like they have a better understanding.

I'll tell you one thing though. While I may not believe in "Hell" necessarily, I do believe there is some reason why we should strive for that relationship. I have no idea what that reason is, if it's Hell or something else. But I've been convinced of that much at least.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FishandBirdLover, I'm with you on beliefs, it seems like we have very similar ones. (Apologies, might not have been clear earlier)

SammiDraco, that's a really interesting thought!

I always enjoy hearing other people's beliefs because there's just so much out there. Of course I don't agree with most, but it's still good to hear them. It challenges your thinking, you know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts