Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aunt decided to use bettas as party gifts in little tiny bowls that were half full. They were all over fed. I want to but the betta in my 10 gallon platy tank but I don't know if hell like it or the platies will like him. I want to fix his stomach problem fist but at least he can still swim normally. How do I fix his stomach problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Give it a shot, the platy tank is better than a a bowl. Does the platy tank have a heater? Try to keep the temperature between 78-82°. The platys shouldn't mind the elevated temperature. I would also recommend a fast. Two or three days should help with the belly. A word of warning, the betta is a little stressed and may be susceptible to disease. You are kinda putting the platys at risk as well without a quarantine.

Ideally a betta should have it's own tank. This can be as small as 2.5 gallons with an adjustable heater. You can even add a filter. Give your betta frequent water changes to keep him happy & healthy.

I also recommend using Seachem Prime as your water conditioner. Add 2 drops per gallon to condition your tap water. Prime will temporary detoxify harmful ammonia. Add 2 drops per gallon daily in an un-cycled tank for protection between water changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Give it a shot, the platy tank is better than a a bowl. Does the platy tank have a heater? Try to keep the temperature between 78-82°. The platys shouldn't mind the elevated temperature. I would also recommend a fast. Two or three days should help with the belly. A word of warning, the betta is a little stressed and may be susceptible to disease. You are kinda putting the platys at risk as well without a quarantine.

Ideally a betta should have it's own tank. This can be as small as 2.5 gallons with an adjustable heater. You can even add a filter. Give your betta frequent water changes to keep him happy & healthy.

I also recommend using Seachem Prime as your water conditioner. Add 2 drops per gallon to condition your tap water. Prime will temporary detoxify harmful ammonia. Add 2 drops per gallon daily in an un-cycled tank for protection between water changes.
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with everything but my other betta already lives there. They all have heaters but they're all off because its so hot that their temperature is 79-82. I think his belly is so big because he might still young.

·
Registered
903 Posts
No, I'm 100% sure that's a male betta. Do you have aquarium salt?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also do you know what his poop looks like?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Try using aquarium salt to help with his stress. Also is there anyway you can move him to a hospital tank or something similar with nothing on the bottom? It would be easier for you to see if your rescue is pooping and if so what it looks like. this link will help you as well, read the bloating section. Also I want to applaud you for rescuing that poor betta. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sorry I meant with your betta's stress. Please excuse the part where I say "his"

·
Registered
903 Posts
Your betta will not need to stay in it for long, just so you can look at the poop because I think he may be constipated.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That is awesome :) you should still not feed your betta for a couple of days. I'm so glad your betta is doing great with the other fish in your tank.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would suggest cupping your betta during platy feeding time. Your betta looks a little bloated/overfed and flakes can have a decent amount of vegetable matter in them that betta's do not need. After fasting him for 2 - 3 days you can start feeding him betta pellets in the cup while the platy's get their own food. If he's rude to the platy's at all you can buy a breeder net to separate him, but still let him benefit from the better water quality in a 10 gallon tank.

Also, that is definitely a male betta. Some boys can hold on to their egg spot into adulthood. You'll never find a female betta with fins that long, or with a body that size. Females are much more compact.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah, that is a male, I have never seen any female with fins that long, and the body shape is weird for a female. If you can make him flare that may help, lots of people have bettas that poop when they flare. Why would anyone use a animal as a party favour?! Decoration, maybe, but signing someone up for a responsibility that they never asked for? I just don't get it... :-?
He is really improving! His colour is coming back!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts