Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on eventually setting up a Sorority tank. I was wondering what would be the best way to feed them. I was thinking it might be easiest (and better for the fish) to feed them only frozen food. Is this a good idea? and also how often should I feed them if I do stick to only frozen food?

·
Registered
627 Posts
For mine anyway, it's no different than feeding any other tank. Drop the food in. It is next to impossible to moderate how much food one fish gets, and if you feed too slowly (like with a dropper/tweezers) you run the risk of the girls getting competitive over the food.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
you can feed them however you want. Just make sure that you keep track of which fish eats what so that no fish is left out.

If you do frozen foods you have a have a variety. So I would get bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis worms, daphnia, beef heart, mosquito larva, and possible even one of those carnivore frozen mixes. (basically just buy whatever carnivore food is in the freeze section).

You feed them the frozen foods as often as you feed pellets - so once or twice a day.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I don't think a diet of frozen foods, even if varied, would provide complete nutrition. I would personally do a high-quality pellet for a sorority. Something like New Life Spectrum. It will most likely end up more cost effective as well.

I used to just run a sprinkling of pellets along the front of my tank for my females and spot fed any females that weren't aggressive or dominant enough to get in with the rest.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I feed exclusively frozen to the sorority I run. They get about 1/7th of a cube each whoch works well with the brand I use. Nice round bellies but not explody.

Variety is essential in frozen/live as has been said, so pellets may be easier. I get 5 packs of frozen for £10 and for all the fish (7 betta, 2 dwarf gourami, four mollies and 2 guppies) i go through about 2-4 cubes a day.

Fasting at least 1 day a week is good. You can have mpre fast days with live/frozen as it is richer. Show bettas on live/frozen eat 2-3times a week, for example. I feed as required to the bettas, so feed only when the belly is empty (unrounded) from the previous feed.

As for how I just empty it all right on in there and watch. If someone is stealing too much or another is getting held off by anyone else I spot feed or feed in a breeder box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.