Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Having received some excellent tips from this community on what and how much to feed my office Betta, Max, I have recently switched to feeding him Fluval Bug Bites. He enjoys them very much, but he is not able to eat all the little pieces before they settle in to the plants and substrate. With his pellet food I was able to just scoop out any pellets he didn't eat but removing this food is much less straightforward. As a newbie I'm not entirely sure what to do about these tiny uneaten particles or how best to clean them out without disturbing the live plants in his tank. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Additionally, Max's snail buddy, Fibonacci, was looking a little pale and pitted, and I had read that this meant he needed more calcium and that I should add egg shells to the tank for a little while. I did, and I removed them after, but since then I've had a pearly slick on top of the water. I remove it every day and I've changed the water a couple of times this week. Does anyone have thoughts on how to handle this now, how to prevent it in the future, and how to get Fib his calcium without hurting the water quality?

Thank you!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I feed bug bites as well and I found that if you put a small amount in at a time and wait until hes got it all to add more it works, but my boy is very food motivated it may be different with max. If you are worried about his calcium intake then you can buy a snail food with extra calcium (Thats what I did when I had snails) or you can buy calcium blocks for snails (Ive never tried this method).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So far I find that they're sinking before he can get them and then he seems to have trouble getting them out of the plants and substrate. Have you ever had anything similar happen?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks! So far I find that they're sinking before he can get them and then he seems to have trouble getting them out of the plants and substrate. Have you ever had anything similar happen?
No, I havent had anything like that happen, maybe hes just a little slower to the food than my boy.

·
Super Moderator
19,467 Posts
Did you get the small size or the large? IME, the small size is perfect for Nano fish like Guppies but not for Betta. While I use Bug Bites, I also feed and prefer something like NorthFin Betta Bits (pellets) as their main food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get the small size or the large? IME, the small size is perfect for Nano fish like Guppies but not for Betta. While I use Bug Bites, I also feed and prefer something like NorthFin Betta Bits (pellets) as their main food.
It didn't specify being a small or large size, but I can't imagine there being anything much smaller! It's more of a dust than a pellet...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use the fluval betta bug bites too and I noticed when I shake some in it dispersed all across the top of the water and the dust bits sank first. There are bigger pieces in there that are an easy size for for my adults. I ended up getting the cone feeder and taking out the cone. The plastic ring keeps all the bits in one spot and if any sink my bettas seem to notice and swim down after them. A turkey baster works really well sucking up anything for spot cleaning 😄

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi! Just my opinion, but this stuff sounds like a real hassle lol

Why not go with pellets? The brand mentioned above, or the ones I use New Life Spectrum size small Betta pellets are a decent food and a lot easier to manage, with a ring or not (shower curtain rings can work too).

By the way, bless your heart for wanting to keep his tank as clean as possible - good on you!

Do you still have that water surface issue? I think just keep removing it as best you can and changing the water, it should eventually dissipate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you still have that water surface issue? I think just keep removing it as best you can and changing the water, it should eventually dissipate.
Thank you! I think I might end up trying out a few more foods. I do still have the water surface issue. At least it doesn't seem to be getting worse. I'll keep cleaning it up regularly and maybe post again if it gets worse at all...

·
Super Moderator
19,467 Posts
The reason you are having issues with biofilm is there is not enough surface agitation. If the filter is adjustable turn it up a bit. As long as Betta are not being blown about a tank or can't find a place to eat or rest current is a good thing as it keeps an aquarium healthier. Think of it as the circulatory system of aquariums.

You can feed a snail diet with added calcium or add a bit of cuttlebone for Fibonacci.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason you are having issues with biofilm is there is not enough surface agitation. If the filter is adjustable turn it up a bit. As long as Betta are not being blown about a tank or can't find a place to eat or rest current is a good thing as it keeps an aquarium healthier. Think of it as the circulatory system of aquariums.

You can feed a snail diet with added calcium or add a bit of cuttlebone for Fibonacci.
Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts