Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding babies

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  The fish 
#1 ·
I have anew batch of babies and I'm determined to get a better success rate with this clutch.
This is their first day free swimming and I gave them egg yolk.
I want to know
a) is vinegar eels or microworms better for tiny babies like these

b) how much do I feed them? How many ml?
I generally mix the worms with water and then drip them in around the tank.

I have the same questions for my 6 week Olds. Nothing says how much Ur supposed to feed them, it's annoying.
Would it be best to keep them on live foods (micros and vinegars) or can I wean them to solid foods?

#2 ·
Actually it's how many per individual fry. But you don't know how many fry you have so all you can do is approximate amount. Initially you may over feed, but eventually you'll know how much fry needs

If feeding egg yolk, I prefer eggs over cooked. IMO it doesn't foul water as much/as bad as half cooked eggs. Further, the yolk will disperse as tiny particles instead of creating cloudy water.

Same thing with 6 week old fry. Feed until their bellies become plump. Some will eat too much - normal and you can't avoid it. It's ok as long as they are still rapidly growing. But after body size 2.5 - 3 cm, it's best to reduce feeding because too much may kill them (bloat - like dropsy but without pine coning)

If possible, feeding live is better. After fry reach 1.5 - 2cm body only, you can slowly switch to man made food

#4 ·
I find Vinegar Eels better, as they are swimming or wiggling also in the open water and not only on ground like microworms.

Also super easy and clean to keep and harvest.
You can reactivate your culture, even if there are weeks in between.

Can you hatch BBS? This way you could alter the food sources.

#5 ·
I did decide to use vinegar eels thanks. I put some in this morning (they're 3 days old now, 2nd day free swimming) though i didnt see them eating, or i only saw a few of them eating. is this normal? my first batch was kinda a disaster and it wasnt the best for learning normal and not normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.