Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have 4 girls in a little sorority in a 10gal tank with 3 dwarf frogs. The girls are quite the little pigs and will eat anything....like seriously when they first met the frogs they tried eating them even though at the time they were half the frogs' length. And they try to steal frog food, will nibble at anything that looks remotely edible, etc.

Anyway, I have a 1gal nano tank that I set up next to my bed. I bought a few little Java ferns and popped them into some sand, set in a decent sized rock, and let it grow there as just a nice little planted tank. I didn't give it a very close look, and apparently I didn't rinse off my plants very well, because I'm now the proud owner of 30+ pond snails....lol. Oops. The momma is about 1/3 inch long, and it has so many babies I can't even count...they're all about a millimeter long, and toodling around the tank rather quickly :/

I'm not a big fan of snails unless they're zebra Nerites, so I'm wondering how to get rid of them without crushing them (also: phobia of squishy and crunchy things. *shudders*)....I was wondering, if I pop in the baby snails could I feed them to my bettas and maybe the frogs? I think the bettas would be okay since the snails are itty bitty and they can easily crush them, but I'm worried about microscopic sharp pieces of shell.
I'm not so sure about the frogs since they can't really chew, so I don't think I'd let them near them....
Or last option, I let my goldies (5 inch Telescope, 4 inch Pearlscale) nom them away. There aren't many other options than crushing them >.>

Anyway, maybe I'm just looking for a way to give free food to my fish, but I'd like opinions anyway. There are some pretty mixed results online on feeding snails to fish, so I'd like expert opinions first.

Sorry to waste time with such a long post, but thanks for reading it if you got this far haha :cool:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Your fish may or may not eat them, it all depends on them and how big/small they are. More than likely, you will end up with tons more. The best thing to do is put in a lettuce leaf, or cucumber slice and leave it in there over night. In the morning, you will find a lot of snails on it. Remove and repeat as necessary (dispose of them however you wish at this point.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.