Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am needing some help. I am in college, and with winter break coming I am struggling to figure out what to do with my betta. I would rather not take him home as it would cause him a lot of stress that is unneeded in a short amount of time. I have vacation feeders that will last approximately a week, but that leaves about 4-5 days of no food for him. I. know bettas can go about 14 days without food, but they tap into their reserves after about 5 days without food. Should I leave him and use the vacation food or should I take him with me?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, I had a friend who moved 9 hours with lots of fish and everyone was fine, but stress is a good point. My recommendation is to find someone staying in town or someone who will be back sooner than you. In my experience vacation feeders can make the water super yucky. You could also invest in a timer feeder, they aren’t too expensive 10-20$. Amazon.com : Bnzaq Automatic Fish Tank Feeder - Aquarium Auto Timer Food Dispenser for Vacation : Pet Supplies Another consideration is temperature, will your dorm/apartment be heated after you leave? If not I would invest in a tank heater. I’m in college too so I sympathize, thankfully I only live 2 hours away.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hello all! I am needing some help. I am in college, and with winter break coming I am struggling to figure out what to do with my betta. I would rather not take him home as it would cause him a lot of stress that is unneeded in a short amount of time. I have vacation feeders that will last approximately a week, but that leaves about 4-5 days of no food for him. I. know bettas can go about 14 days without food, but they tap into their reserves after about 5 days without food. Should I leave him and use the vacation food or should I take him with me?
I have some friends that use automatic dispensers. They're pretty useful, and you can use them even when you're home. Do you have any friends that are staying or live nearby? Maybe they can come and drop a pellet or two for you every day. Vacation feeders are another option, but they can dissolve in the water, resulting in a lot of Ammonia. That wouldn't be good, especially since there will be no water changes for two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
The problem with feeders is they can malfunction and either stop feeding but, more usually, dump everything so the fish live in Ammonia Hell.

Up his food intake with an extra meal every day before you leave. Clean his tank the night before and he'll be fine. Look at it this way: No food in = No food out = Cleaner tank = Minimal parameter change.

When you return, his tank will be clean, parameters pretty good. Feed him several smaller meals for a week or so and then go back to his routine.

We are often gone 2-4 weeks. That's what I do and have no had any issues or fish deaths. Of course, anything can happen but not from starvation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I had a friend who moved 9 hours with lots of fish and everyone was fine, but stress is a good point. My recommendation is to find someone staying in town or someone who will be back sooner than you. In my experience vacation feeders can make the water super yucky. You could also invest in a timer feeder, they aren’t too expensive 10-20$. Amazon.com : Bnzaq Automatic Fish Tank Feeder - Aquarium Auto Timer Food Dispenser for Vacation : Pet Supplies Another consideration is temperature, will your dorm/apartment be heated after you leave? If not I would invest in a tank heater. I’m in college too so I sympathize, thankfully I only live 2 hours away.
I have a tank heater! I am also leaving my apartment heat on, as I am afraid the water temperature will fluctuate too much without it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with feeders is they can malfunction and either stop feeding but, more usually, dump everything so the fish live in Ammonia Hell.

Up his food intake with an extra meal every day before you leave. Clean his tank the night before and he'll be fine. Look at it this way: No food in = No food out = Cleaner tank = Minimal parameter change.

When you return, his tank will be clean, parameters pretty good. Feed him several smaller meals for a week or so and then go back to his routine.

We are often gone 2-4 weeks. That's what I do and have no had any issues or fish deaths. Of course, anything can happen but not from starvation.
Thank you for your help. This seems like the best idea for my situation. Should I still use a vacation feeder while I am gone, even with feeding more before I leave? I do worry about ammonia levels going up, but I have a reliable filter that keeps water circulating as well as live plants.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One of the easiest solutions that you can go with is to get an automatic fish feeder. it will cost a bit of money, especially if you get a high quality one, but it is well worth the investment considering that your Betta will be able to survive while you are gone. Automatic fish feeders can be programmed to release a certain amount of food into the aquarium at specific intervals or times of the day. some can be programmed to release certain amounts at certain times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts