Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding issues

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
I have a tank with a betta with a couple pygmy corys, and I just fed them some frozen bloodworms. I distracted my betta and put a few bloodworms in the back of the tank to let them sink while he wasn't looking. But when I was done he happened to swim down to where one of the bloodworms was and gobbled it up like a little pig, then proceeded to scour every inch of the bottom and find the rest of them. His belly is bulging now and I think I won't feed him anything for the next couple days lol.

But I'm a little worried about the corys. This isn't the first time he's eaten food that was for other fish. He once ate a big chunk of a sinking wafer and I had to fast him for a couple days then too. Is there any way to ensure that the corys get fed properly? I read that they're pretty slow eaters and need an allowance of 30 minutes or so, which doesn't help things....

#2 ·
You can cup him in a cup, let him float. Feed the cories first and then feed him his pellets or bloodworms in the cup. Eventually he'll associate the cup with food and willingly swim in there to get his meal for the day. Then just leave him in for a few more minutes while you see the cories eating hopefully. He should be fine in the cup for 15-20 minutes at the least.

#4 ·
Okay, I made a makeshift sort of breeding trap with an old plastic container and put my betta in, and after I fed him he was pretty okay with being in there for around 20 mins or so. But the corys didn't touch the food at all, even though one of them swam near it and sat next to it for a while. I'd been quarantining them before this, and when I fed them in the quarantine tank they wouldn't touch the food within the first 30 minutes, but after a couple hours the food was gone, and it looks like they might still take that long to eat. I'll try with another kind of sinking wafer tomorrow, but I'm worried that the problem is that they just take a really long time. I suppose I'll see how it goes though, perhaps in a few days they'll get hungry enough to eat quickly.

#6 ·
Yeah feeding at night is another way you can try as well. Although my Betta's still find it at night as well. You can always feed the tablet and not the pellets and then fast a day the next, the cories will be fine with that.

#7 ·
Okay I'll try that later tonight and hopefully it'll be gone and my betta's belly won't be bulging tomorrow lol. How much do bettas rely on their sight? I think I'll break up the wafer into little pieces and scatter them over the tank, so maybe he won't find them all during the night.

#8 ·
The have excellent sight. I don't know to what extent but I know that the females can see the males across my room which is roughly ten feet I think. They see me when I walk in the door so their eyesight is pretty darn good lol. But you can try it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.