Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my first elephant ear betta, and let me say he is just beautiful. But for the first week and half he refused to eat. I tried 3 different types of food and I've never owned a betta fish that wasn't a pig. I finally got him to eat and I was so happy, but he will only eat blood worms. He turns his nose up to everything else. I heard because blood worms are really fatty and you should only give it to them as treats, but this is all he will eat. He doesn't even try the other food, he looks at it and then swims away. Other than his eating habits he seems like a happy, cocky little Betta. He has even tried picking a fight with my cats when they wanted to drink his water(thankfully my cats have no interest in him, only the water) So is it ok to keep to the blood worms or should I try something else?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Which pellet brands have you tried? I know some people frown on this but have you tried a quality flake such as Omega One? I have a snotty male who after he has eaten his weekly treat of blood worms will spit out the pellets for a day or two, drives me nuts, but then he'll eat them but ive recently learned he seems to prefer Omega One pellets over NLS.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've got a guy who does this. He is old and had a disease and was treated for some time for it, and afterwards he just really isn't interested much in food.

I finally decided to ditch pellets altogether, and to switch to only frozen foods (thawed prior to feeding). He currently subsists off a mixture of brine shrimp, blood worms, the occasional NLS pellet (I still try), and when I can find them, mosquito larvae. I'm not sure if he's really getting the nutrients he needs, but after two months of just about refusing to eat, I figured this was better than nothing. Also, I thought about what they'd be eating in the wild, and this was the closest I could come up with. *shrug*

With your guy, I agree with the others, try some different brands, most bettas really enjoy the NLS, and the Omega One pellets are also good quality. They can go up to a month without eating, so you can give him a week or so to come around to your way of thinking. ;) Once he gets hungry enough, he'll eat them most likely. :)

One other thing to look for/try, is see if he eats them off the bottom of his tank. I had one who liked them to soak for a bit, he'd refuse them at the surface, wait for them to sink, then leisurely come back to them and polish them off. I found that if I cleared a spot in his gravel, a gravel-free space of just bare-tank about 3 inches wide, and made sure the pellets sank to that spot, he had an easier time finding them, I could make sure he was eating, and I could clean up any excess at next feeding time so they weren't rotting in there. :)

He did finally start eating at the surface...not sure what changed, but whatever. ;) He's an opinionated little man. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've tried Wardley brand(every betta i've ever had loved these) and I tried nutrafin, and some thing else my friend gave me that was flakes, her betta loved them, mine did not.

Every pellet I've tried he doesn't even give it a shot. There smaller than his eye so their not that big of pellets either. He looks at it then turns away. He spits up the flakes. The only thing he goes for is the blood worms so by the end of the week he's a little more than aggressively attacking it.

Thanks, I'll try the Omega One and NLS. See if he likes it. Hopefully he at least gives it a try.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The Wardley I had were pretty good sized & I had to break them up but I discovered they weren't very good quality so I quit feeding them. I've never looked at nutrafin but I think someone else has commented on them as not very good quality either. In any case hopefully you'll find something he likes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I bought the Omega one pellets that same day, he has actually given this one a try and I was so happy, and then he spit it right back out.

I'm a little worried cause it looks like his tail is starting to fray off a bit now. I don't know if it's because he isn't eating or if its just because he is flaring up all the time.(usually does this when one of my two cats walks but his tank)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts