Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have Omega One pellets and freeze dried bloodworms for Balthazar, and I was wondering what the best feeding schedule would be for him?
I usually feed him twice a day, 2-3 pellets. How often should I give him the bloodworms? And how many is a reasonable amount for one feeding?

Registered
I give my Betta food twice a day too. But I learned that Bettas can go a long time without food. My friend feeds his once a week and his Betta is happy and healthy. The bloodworms are best for treats and stuff like that.

Registered
While it is true that bettas can go for extended periods without food it is not ideal for their health. They should be fed daily with once/week fasting.
I would nix the freeze-dried bloodworms and purchase the frozen variety instead. They are healthier for them and much more appreciated by bettas than freeze dried, but they should only ever be a once/week treat for your little boy.
I would suggest trying 4 pellets twice/day with one day/week fasting and see how he does.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While it is true that bettas can go for extended periods without food it is not ideal for their health. They should be fed daily with once/week fasting.
I would nix the freeze-dried bloodworms and purchase the frozen variety instead. They are healthier for them and much more appreciated by bettas than freeze dried, but they should only ever be a once/week treat for your little boy.
I would suggest trying 4 pellets twice/day with one day/week fasting and see how he does.
I'm not getting rid of the freeze dried ones, I live in a dorm and I'm not made of money. For one, I live with three other people and our freezer space is limited so I'm not going to gross them out by keeping fish food in there or take up any more space in there than I have to, plus I already bought the freeze dried ones and I'm NOT just throwing them out. That's a huge waste of money that I don't have. He seems to like them anyway, and he's never had frozen ones so he won't know the difference.

Four does seem to be a bit much for him though, I was feeding him four and he was getting a little bloated and lethargic, 3 in the morning and 2 in the evening seems to be working pretty well for him.

But what about the number of bloodworms to feed him?

Registered
The frozen bloodworms were simply a suggestion.
However, I remain with what I said before about not feeding the freeze dried blood worms. They often cause serious constipation and bloating issues that can lead to SBD. I guess you may be able to get away with feeding one of them per week if you are dead set on using them.
As for the pellet amounts if you feel 4 twice/day is too much that is fine. Every betta is different so it takes some experimenting to determine the right amount.
I am not sure why you made this thread if you are already comfortable with his current feeding schedule, not trying to be rude or anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The frozen bloodworms were simply a suggestion.
However, I remain with what I said before about not feeding the freeze dried blood worms. They often cause serious constipation and bloating issues that can lead to SBD. I guess you may be able to get away with feeding one of them per week if you are dead set on using them.
As for the pellet amounts if you feel 4 twice/day is too much that is fine. Every betta is different so it takes some experimenting to determine the right amount.
I am not sure why you made this thread if you are already comfortable with his current feeding schedule, not trying to be rude or anything.
I made this post because I wasn't sure how often to feed bloodworms and how many to feed him per feeding. I kind of thought that was obvious since those are the two questions in my original post.

Registered
Okay, I suppose I would just do 1 bloodworm per week, gauge his behavior and weight, and maybe increase the amount depending on his response. Just be on the look out for signs of constipation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I suppose I would just do 1 bloodworm per week, gauge his behavior and weight, and maybe increase the amount depending on his response. Just be on the look out for signs of constipation.
All right, thanks for your help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bettas should be fed everyday. And feed bloodworms a few times a week as a treat. They shouldn't be the only thing that he eats.
Exactly how do you define a few times a week? I'm getting confused again, when I did research I got so many varied results for how often to feed bloodworms and how many... I know not to feed only bloodworms, the pellets are his main food, but I thought having a little variety might be beneficial for him.

I was originally thinking maybe two bloodworms every monday and friday (one in the morning and one in the evening) but now it seems like too much with what some people are saying. But I also feel like one bloodworm a week isn't enough to give a good sense of variety for him.

Registered
I disagree with SerenaRena, if they weren't freeze dried then every other day would be fine (maybe 1-2 worms), but the risks of feeding freeze dried at that amount every other day is far too high.
Go with your original plan. Like I said, every betta is different so what works for one may not work for another.
One freeze dried bloodworm/week is definitely not enough to vary his diet, but too much puts him at risk for constipation or SBD.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I disagree with SerenaRena, if they weren't freeze dried then every other day would be fine (maybe 1-2 worms), but the risks of feeding freeze dried at that amount every other day is far too high.
Go with your original plan. Like I said, every betta is different so what works for one may not work for another.
One freeze dried bloodworm/week is definitely not enough to vary his diet, but too much puts him at risk for constipation or SBD.
All right, I'll do that then. Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts