Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, it's me again :)

I tried finding a similar topic on here but perhaps I didn't lurk hard enough--I'm curious as to whether or not I am feeding my betta too much or if there might be some *knocks on wood* early onset dropsy *knocks on wood*

Lucky for me he is not a picky eater, he eats the following (soaked pellets, flakes, freeze dried bloodworms) and gets the following combinations for a 4 day period:

• Three pellets
  • Two pellets and two flakes
  • Two flakes and a blood worm
  • Two flakes (to give his system a rest)

I've noticed when he eats his tummy obviously gets a little bloated from being full. But what size should be considered worrying? Another thing to consider is that he is rather small for a male. Here is a picture of him taken today:

thank you all for your advice!

EDIT: Now he is twisting/shaking his head rapidly while bubbling air... he's fine now but still worrying

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Is is 3 pellets at a time, or 3 a day, one at a time, are they micro pellets, or reg size?..he looks fine to me, I am not an expert in fish disease, but if you see poop then I would say ok, but if not, maybe he is constipated, I have been hearing bloodworms, if freezedried, expand, and tend to cause that..you should check with OFL (old fish lady) she is well educated in these things, I been reading her posts, good luck..Hopeall turns out well..:) If you P/M her she would most likely respond.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Aww I think he's okay. Just soak the pellets before giving them to him, that way they don't expand IN his stomach. :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Could you give a little more specific feeding schedule? Does he only get three pellets a day? A meal? What size are the pellets? What brand?

Actually soaking pellets before giving them to him will leech the minerals and nutrients that are in them. For this reason, I don't soak my pellets. I have the NLS pellets that are rather small, so I feed my boys 4 pellets in a sitting. I have never had problems with bloat or swim bladder disorder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you give a little more specific feeding schedule? Does he only get three pellets a day? A meal? What size are the pellets? What brand?

Actually soaking pellets before giving them to him will leech the minerals and nutrients that are in them. For this reason, I don't soak my pellets. I have the NLS pellets that are rather small, so I feed my boys 4 pellets in a sitting. I have never had problems with bloat or swim bladder disorder.
He gets it all at once, one time a day (in the morning). It usually goes day by day like pellets --> pellets and flakes --> flakes and worm --> etc etc. I make note not to give him a worm more than twice a week, usually only once, because they're freeze dried.

Is that specific enough? I'll go into more detail if needed :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
That sounds like way too much. He should get something like 3 pellets in the morning and evening (or a substitution of flakes). Bloodworms should only be used as a treat (especially the freeze-dried ones). Unless you're more comfortable with a once a day feeding, I would split the feedings into morning and evening.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Fish absorb nutrients better in smaller feedings. So instead of feeding him once a day, split them up. Feed 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the evening. Feed the flakes in the morning and pellets in the evening. I would skip out on the blood worms weekly unless they are frozen. I would also get rid of the flakes. Due to the nature of flakes they will always be less nutritious than pellets, and I avoid them where I can. Have the pellets as a staple diet and give flakes or freeze-dried blood worms as a treat.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just make sure he is eating it and it is not laying on the bottom and he should be fine...

Jeff.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts