Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm completely new at this. I only have experience in breeding guppies. (Not much to do there. ;) I'm really not aiming to be an official Betta breeder. I thought it would be fun to see what would happen. Obviously with the fishes safety #1.
Anyway, everything was going well I thought. My male and female were getting along. No fighting. A little chasing and flaring. Male had build multiple bubble nests over 24 hours. Female came "in heat" so to speak. After some chasing and a few bad bites at the female (man, one time he had a mouth full of scales. Poor girl.), they "did the deed" countless times over an 2 hour period. And then we had eggs!!!! At least a couple dozen. I was so excited!! Then.... Nothing. He didn't go get them and put them in the nest. She went down and picked them up one by one. I thought well maybe she will put them in the nest. Nope. I think she ate them. :( I separated them to let her rest.

What do I do now? Wait a bit and try again? How long? A day or two? Or is he just deadbeat dad? What happened?

·
Registered
329 Posts
As soon as the eggs come out of the female, the male should start putting them in the nest. After the female I done with the eggs she must be removed as she might eat them... Just leave the male with the eggs and see if he picks them up. If not, I think you might need to research it a bit more and oh poor girl... Make sure you QT her - I don't like the sound of a mouthful of scales. D:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Thanks. It sounds like I should have removed her immediately when I noticed her picking them up. She is safe and recovering now. She has actually released a few eggs while alone. She must have been about to explode. Poor girl.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Put her back into the tank and poor the water (with the eggs) back in with the male. AFTER the eggs stop coming out put her in a separate container.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Did that. She just wants to eat the eggs and he wants nothing to do with her or the eggs. Hmmm. I will just let each of them rest and relax.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Sometimes females are just natural egg-eaters, same with the males. When spawning you need to let them finish, which can take hours to do, before you take the female out. Then the male stays in to tend to the eggs for the next two days, sometimes three, until the fry are horizontally swimming.

Also, are you sure she's not helping put the eggs into the nest? She will generally also help scoop up eggs and put them into the nest, sometimes they'll swim around a little bit with the eggs/fry in their mouths before they put them into the nest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. She did eat the eggs. I waited and was hopeful she was helping him out, but he didn't gather any eggs either. Not to mention his bubble nest was disappearing after all their "nookie."
After I last separated them, I left him with the eggs. No bubble nest. About an hour later, no eggs. :( She is still full of eggs and releases a few occasionally... And eats them. :(
I will let them rest a couple of days. Now that I know a little more, I will be better prepared next time.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
That's fine, this happens to betta's, especially virgins. Did you have the tank covered with saran wrap/cellophane wrap and heated to 82 approx.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they are defiantly virgins. It took them a while to get the hold just right, etc.

And, no, I didn't. But I will now. :). Why the Saran Wrap??

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Because it keeps heat in the tank and helps keep the bubblenest strong, any sorts of wind or draft and destroy the nest which obviously is counterproductive to what the male is trying to achieve ^_^

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Mine or AnnaElsa's?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think I have any pictures of my recent one but it was just a 13 gallon filled only 5 inches, saranwrap taped over top, 25 watt adjustable heater and a sponge filter at one end, the half styrofoam cup on the other side taped up so he had a safe place to build the nest, though they don't always build where you think is best lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ummmm... Yea, I don't have a set-up. Just my main tank with my guppies and guppy fry. I have had my male betta for some time in my guppy tank. He helps with overpopulation of guppy fry. I just got a female betta to give my male a friend. I was curious about how they mate and so I put them together and BAM! nature took over. Now I'm interested in giving them what they need to have them be successful parents. I will try again soon. But be sure they will be cared for and safe from each other.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Just so you understand, I don't know what you've read or anything but I just want to put it out there. Betta's can have on average 500+ eggs so be ready to potentially house 500 fish and males have to separated which means approximately 250 of them have to be jarred. Can you accept that responsibility.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bettas do not need "friends." They are solitary fish. I don't mean this to sound harsh but you are going into breeding with bad reasons and I don't think you have thought this through. What will you do with the fry when they reach adulthood? What will you feed them? Do you have live food cultures ready? Where will they be housed?

Again, no offense... but you need to do a lot more research before you simply "let nature take over."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ummm. Ok then. I guess I will need to house one of my bettas in another tank and nix the entire thing and stick to breeding my guppies.
Thank you all for your time and information.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would. Again, not trying to be mean about it, it's just a TON of work and expense. A few weeks ago I had a female hop a divider and spawn with a male while I was at work. I scooped out the eggs and fed them to other fish. I just wasn't prepared to deal with raising that many fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts