Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a koi galaxy male. And he is around 5-6 months old. He is in his own 15 gallon tank. And he has been making bubble nests for a while now. So i thought i would try to see i can breed him. So i took a plastic container and made holes in it and hung it inside his aquarium. Then scooped my female koi galaxy and put her in this to see how they would react to each other. Then the male started to swim erratically. Not flare like he does when he meets other males. He always flares and tries to fight other males. But the moment he saw the female, he freaked out. Looked like he was scared. I decided i would give it maybe an hour and see if they calm down or seem interested in each other. And when i came back the female had jumped into the aquarium and was chasing the male. lol. She was chasing him all over. And he just kept running/swimming away.
Is this normal betta? I have never seen a male being chased my a female. I have seen this same male flaring and trying to fight other males for hours. But immediately started escaping from the female.

This is the male.
Eye Fin Fish supply Underwater Fish

This is the female.
Insect Arthropod Moths and butterflies Pollinator Plant

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there ANY chance that the betta is female. Did he flare when the betta was separated from him?
The first pic is my male betta. And i dont think there is any chance this one is a female. I've had him for almost 2 months now. He will flare nonstop anytime he sees other males. And sometimes at my finger when im feeding him.
The second pic is the female. I've had her for longer. I have seen egg spot on her as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From your earlier message (First message you sent) you said the first female didn't breed. Didi you try putting the females together to see if one acts like a male (Be careful, female bettas can be aggressive too) That could be a way because an egg spot is a good way to tell too so you would be sure. Could you send a pic with the female from the side like the one you sent of the male?

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
It sounds like the male was shocked by something . . . Maybe by the jar - it happens.
Females are as aggressive as males, especially towards stressed bettas.

I suggest you totally isolate male for a few days, preferably in the dark. Then slowly try flaring him to a different colored female - if possible a small docile female. Add flaring time daily. Once he looks normal, then flare to the female of choice.

If the jar did stress him, once he regains his self esteem, place the jar in or next to his tank - empty. Only to make him used to it - that it's not a threat. Don't flare on the day you place the jar in. Wait a day or two, then start flaring exercises as usual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts