Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I KNOW FOR SURE I did everything right. I conditioned them properly and everything went well.

I introduced them properly and they're both now in the breeding tank.

But the bigger problem is... The female's vertical stripes have dissappeared!

They've been in there for 26 hours now.

And nothing has happened. The male is still making the nest and it's already pretty big... The female did come up ONLY ONCE to go check up on the nest.

They seemed like they were going to breed.

The she tried to mess up the nest....

They circled around each other and then SHE NIBBLED HIM.

They're both VIRGINS.

I was sure they were both interested that's why I paired them.

She had vertical stripes and was healthy. She's also filled with eggs and does lower her head 45 degrees when approaching.

BUT THEN SHE ALWAYS goes back to sit down at the opposite end of the corner.....

She just sits there for a long time without moving...

The only time she moves is when the male betta goes towards her.

Does she need a more aggressive man or what? -.-

I

·
Banned
688 Posts
breeding these fish demands patience. Keyword here is virgin. The female checking out the nest is a good thing, and vertical bars are not important here. Her showing that she's submissive to him is what counts, when she is ready and willing she will bow her head and clamp her fins and swim in an "S" formation. You said they've been in for 26 hours, it doesnt matter. It can be two days to five days after her release that they could spawn. She will probably spawn on the second or third day. Just relax, be patient, and let them do their thing :) your patience will be rewarded.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THEY SPAWNED!....

But now idk what to do because this has never happened before....I took the female out after they were done. He started tending to the nest/eggs.

He picks them up...

But I notice one big change...

THE BUBBLES ARE popping.

And he doesn't make new bubbles either..

All he does is pick up the eggs and puts it back where it can float with the bubbles.

·
Registered
702 Posts
yes, this is normal.
this also happens because you've left the tank open, allowing for drafts to make short work of the nest.

if you've covered the tank, the bubbles are popping due to the fry hatching and breaking up the nest. nothing you can do about that. as long as the male is tending the eggs and keeping them near the surface, you're good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Copper dragon scale betta?...

I just bought a pair of bettas.

Both are from the same parents.

This pic here is the male. (Haven't thought of a name for him yet but I am soon to breed this little guy!)

My QUESTION... Is this a copper dragonscale betta?

The girl has the exact same colors except her body is "copper" or grey same hoes with her fin...

The only white she has is her head.

If I were to breed them...

What would their offsprings look like?..

(I'm hoping their offsprings look like them.)

·
Super Moderator
7,237 Posts
Many of my tanks are not covered and the breeze ruins the nest. And I also have many males that wouldn't bother with nests. It doesn't affect hatch rate.

You should get the same coloring as the sibling parents - some more copper than others. . . . I'm guessing sister is partial copper dragon while brother is dragon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.