Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have three bettas. They are all in different tanks, with different fish. My female is in the 20 gallon with 6 platy fry and 4 balloon mollies (soon). I noticed she liked to burrow herself under the clam shells I have, and lay there, until she came out for food or to wander. I do have other hiding spots for her - and because she decided she prefered the clam shell, I supported it up with rocks, and dug it out more for her so she would not cut herself on it.

Unfortunately I was a bit late, as she did get herself on her side. Now, the first betta I owned did the same thing with a plant, and he healed on his own. This was...5 years ago. I have never had this problem until now.

Is there anything I should be watching out for? I did not realize she was a digger -.- None of my bettas ever did that lol.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Haha, my first betta used to dig! x3 I misses him :<

But as long as it doesn't seem to get worse, all you really need is clean water. :)
It'll heal up on it's own. ^^ If it does get worse (look all infected and gross), put her in a smaller container that you can float in the tank to keep her warm and do a salt bath (Aquarium Salt only) of 1tsp/ gal. Keep up with that treatment for up to 10 days. And do daily 100% water changes (why a small container is easier) and keep adding the salt back in. :) Though I doubt it will get to where you need to use salt.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah before, when I started owning bettas know what happened? I bought Bettafix. The first one, died over night. Second one, died over night. I was SOOO upset!!! I tossed that crap away, and now only want completely natural methods for everything in my tank - inlcuding driftwood vs. rocks, and "freshwater aquarium salt" which I used for the tank so I think she'll be fine.

I was just surprised because she likes to make her own hiding spots rather than using the provided ones...lol I just don't want her to get sick, because in the 20 gallon she'll get picked on if she is sick.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Ugh! I don't even know why they have that stuff...it's hurts their organs! >_< ; Tea tree oil is no bueno!

Also, don't use that AQ salt for a long period of time (10 days is usually the max.)- it can eventually really hurt them (burns their organs).

My 1st betta would bury himself under the glass marbles in his tank, and just lay there. xD cracked me up.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha she did the same thing with the clam shell... lying on her side (playing dead?) but in the 20 gallon its like a "where's waldo" with her......

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hahah, that's exactly what mine used to do! xD Awwwsss :3

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well at least she (Madame) is not like my Spartan, male betta. He likes to try and go through, over, or under everything. The heck with going around... I think even he survived a poisoning, and jumping out of the tank... I am surprised HE is alive. I just do not want her to get sick because she is so pretty. Specks of metalic blue on her black striped body =D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Woooww! She's so pretty!! <3

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks :) found out she is a crowntail. And she is also 2.5 inches... bigger than most males :eek: my half-moon cross male betta is that size... with fins >< lol

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
o0o nice! CT's are my fav tail type :>

dawww little boys = <3

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha yeah. I have a half moon, a crowntail, and a.....something... his tail isn't full, just kind of small lol. He's a something-or-other :p Sadly the african dwarf frog (I blamed the clam shell at first so I removed it) decided to be munching on my male's tail so it's all wrecked :( Not too short happily but still....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts