Betta Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 762 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Dramaqueen,
If I take a female out of the sorority due to too much aggression, how long should she be kept alone? I got three new females yesterday to restock our sorority tank and the one that has been there from the beginning needed to be taken out. The new females are all about half her size and she really chased them around. She is currently sitting in a 2 Gal tank on my desk, but I sure would like her to go back at some point.

·
Banned
27,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I would take her out for 2-3 days and then, like Sarada said, rearrange the tank and put them all back in at the same time. They will reestablish the pecking order and territories.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Another thing that works is putting your aggressive/problem girl in a breeders trap for a few days in the tank so she can get used to the other fish but can't get to them. It may help. It has helped me quite a bit!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
i was actually thinking about doing one but decided to do 1 female,4 cories,& 2 apple snails. i wanted a female,bbbuuuuut not a soroity ,to much up-keep for a first timer. :-D

·
Registered
195 Posts
hey, just curious. i am getting my ten gallon soon and what do you think i should put in itbesides 1female, 4 corys, 2 apple snails?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My old 20G is just crying and begging to be a sorority. I'm thinking maybe towards christmas I'll set it up. How many females could be in a 20G? Would 8 or 10 be a good number?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My old 20G is just crying and begging to be a sorority. I'm thinking maybe towards christmas I'll set it up. How many females could be in a 20G? Would 8 or 10 be a good number?
Before my 20 gal. "Diva" tank decided to spring a leak, I had 9 females in there with lots of plants & hidey holes and they all got along great.

One word of warning, though, don't fill the tank all the way up - I started with 10, but one jumped since I had the water too high. :-(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks LM! I'll keep that in mind when I set it up.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Still a great post haha. I have a 9 female sorority in a 38 gallon tank. I have not had any problems as towards aggression. Probably because they have tons of room and places to hide from each other. They dont bother the danios or the cory catfish either. I firmly believe female bettas deserve as big a tank as you can get and friends! If you can of course that is.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I think I'm going to start a sorority. I now have three lovely girls and I have an empty 15g. Four more females should be okay, I think. I'm going to start cycling the tank this week :-D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would six females be too much for a 10g? I already have five in there and they all seem to be getting along, and have plenty of hiding places. I hear that six is a good number for a sorority though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorority Shots

Some pics of some of the girls in my sorority just hanging out at the top of the tank...

This is the 75gl..still in a tank this large you have to watch for the biters...I took one of mine out recently and she ended up being responsible for all the nipped fins in my tank, as the girls are recovering now that she is gone...

No matter the size or number, its all about watching them like hawks..making sure they can remain civil...usually its only a few that disrupt this...Ideally a mature and calm female should be the alpha...

Attachments

41 - 60 of 762 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.