Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here are some basics for ya:
How many lovely bettas: 11
Other pets in tank: 4 snails
Feeding: was evening, now morning. NLS betta pellets
How big of tank: 45gal
Decor style: Natural, heavily planted (fake plants though)
Ammonia: 0
pH level: 8ish (a bit higher probably)

Anything I missed, please ask me.

Okay, here's the scoop: These bettas have lived together for almost a year (10 months and two weeks?) and I've had a few scraps adding new bettas, but it's been over two months since I've added any fish (that transition went very well, no fighting at all).
Just this last week, I noticed all of them but three had chewed up fins. I thought perhaps they were just hungry (if I ever was late to feed them, they would turn on each other in retaliation). With the sun setting earlier, I thought perhaps they were feeling like I forgot to feed them, so I changed their feed time to the morning. I started watching them closely and I think I might have found out which fish is being the sudden bully.

Just curious though, why are they suddenly getting all tense and angry? They've been fine for so long. Is there anything I can do? Should I permanently remove the suspected bully?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You could try a 'timeout' for the bully. I do it with my girls when it gets past social interaction/manuevering and into nastiness. I use a breeder box to give the bully some chill-time. :) At least overnight, as I can watch them in the day :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a good idea. She is in a breeder box at the moment, so I'll let her out tonight when I get home from work to see if she behaves.

You're bettas are beautiful :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"At least overnight, as I can watch them in the day :)"

So should I leave her in the breeder box while I'm at work? Would that be safest for the others? Some of the bettas are small, and she is quite large (one of my first bettas) so I really don't want the younger girls to be beat up while I'm gone at work.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
To answer your question as to why the sudden violence: they are bettas. Unfortunately, bettas can be highly unpredictable with their behaviour. Furthermore, I've found aggressive behaviour can be very subtle and easily missed. It's not uncommon for sororities to have issues with aggression where previously there had been none.

One possible explanation, is that you might be that you've had some younger females, and now they are reaching maturity, they are starting to become more aggressive with each other.

If you can locate the bully I would separate her out. However, this may not solve the issue. I would be keeping close eyes on my sorority to ensure that fish aren't getting too stressed as then you may find you start having problems with their health.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
"At least overnight, as I can watch them in the day :)"

So should I leave her in the breeder box while I'm at work? Would that be safest for the others? Some of the bettas are small, and she is quite large (one of my first bettas) so I really don't want the younger girls to be beat up while I'm gone at work.
Long term no, but I don't see why not in the sort term to see if she can correct the behaviour. I have found they seem to be a tad nicer after, but I've only had to do it twice.

You're bettas are beautiful :)
thank you! I have two more not in there. The second one was bought as a female, is *definitely a PK male*, and of the two new ones, it is possible despite the egg spot and, when i bought the pair, small fins and muted colours, I look to be in possession of a DTPK male! Sorrorities are fun. Some males love pretending to be girls! >.>; If yours hadn't been established so long I would have suggested that. XP

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"One possible explanation, is that you might be that you've had some younger females, and now they are reaching maturity, they are starting to become more aggressive with each other."

Okay yeah I do have some younger ones in there, so perhaps that is the problem. Scarlette might not like them lol

" Some males love pretending to be girls! >.>; If yours hadn't been established so long I would have suggested that. XP"

Haha yeah Scarlette is def. a girl ^^ she used to be so bad when my sister had her, so I took her and put her with my Krib and Rainbow Fish. She became the sweetest thing after that, but I'm afraid maybe now she's slipping back into her old, nasty ways lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was watching them again and noticed a different betta was harassing two others meanly, so maybe poor Scarlette is innocent

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have weekly disputes in my tank but they are normally very minor, just sorting out the heiraechy. It does change a lot, especially as more fish mature.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
One possible explanation, is that you might be that you've had some younger females, and now they are reaching maturity, they are starting to become more aggressive with each other.

If you can locate the bully I would separate her out. However, this may not solve the issue. I would be keeping close eyes on my sorority to ensure that fish aren't getting too stressed as then you may find you start having problems with their health.
+1 Little. The females may well be maturing and "feeling their oats" so to speak.

I'm not sure if taking the bully out will help. They will just rearrange the pecking order and the next in line will start bullying.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The multitude of things I've read/heard allude to the fact that, at any given moment, the girls can snap, and it disrupts the entire tank. If one's having a bad day - everyone's gonna have a bad day.

I liken it to PMS. And what does that stand for? Punish My Sorority.

I haven't experienced any aggression yet; however, I know that day is coming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts