Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my female betta came down with a problem a couple weeks ago and at first I thought it was sbd as she was in a cycled comunity tank with a a healthy amount of other perfectly fine fish. I had her for around 6 months in that tank too so it wasnt something from the store either. Well after I saw she wasnt doing too well I put her in a 5 g heavily planted tank that I was gonna put a male in later on (this tank was also cycled). I just left her in there without feeding her and only giving the shrimp peas (and hoping she would eat one too). After a couple days I got lucky and she was doing good and went down and started nipping at the peas but after a couple days she still looked like she hadn't gained any weight back and still hadn't pooped (she has never looked bloated) so I gave her a couple more days and still nothing. At this point I thought mabye she was just hungry so I made the mistake of giving her freeze dried blood worms and the next day she was back to sitting on a leaf near the top of the tank but this time she looked much worse and was leaning to her side and sometimes leaning back. So I added some epson salt to the tank and she has been sitting in the tank without change for a couple days like that and is currently not even eating daphnia! I have just started doing daily water changes and moved the heat up to 80. Is there anything else I can do? Is this even sbd? Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

I‘m sorry that your Betta is ailing.
To give everyone a good insight into her accustomed environment (main tank) please fill out this form:
https://www.bettafish.com/threads/please-read-before-posting-fill-out-this-form-so-we-can-best-help-your-betta.612810/

For the 5 gallon she’s in right now you could add all information by marking it with ”QT” in brackets or make it visible in another clear way (QT stands for quarantine tank).

If not already answered in the form: How is your feeding regime in the community tank (with her inside)?

Hope we‘ll figure out what‘s going on with your girl and thank you for providing us with all this additional information and some more pictures (from side and above) if you manage to take some.

Reactions: Mbpoppy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 3 guppies 4 swordtails and a nerite

Housing 5g:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 as of today, was 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Lots of plants
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Ghost shrimp and a nerite

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? Blood worms (occasionally)
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Daily feeding for whole tank

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 33
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seed bacteria prime and aqueon conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 weeks
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Skinnier see spine more
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lays still near top of tank
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Added epson salt to aq trying tofeed peas
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
277 Posts
How is she doing?
Do you see any changes now that she is in the 5 g on her own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shes gotten worse. I stopped adding epson salt and am continuing daily water changes but shes still laying on her side and breathing heavy next to the surface...thinking about euthanasia.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would suggest trying methyl blue baths. I add a few drops to a small kritter keeper with my fish's current tank water for about 30 minutes. I just purchased a betta who is undernourished, SBD, columnaris, and breathing heavily. He's had 2 baths and those tend to perk him up. The methyl blue increase hemoglobin oxygen binding in the blood or at the very least it should ease your girl's breathing and keep her comfortable. Maybe set her up in a QT tank with a lower water level, her heater, a hide, and some small plants for aeration. It will be easier on her without the current and less distance to travel to the surface.

It's a great tool to keep on hand like water conditioner and clove oil for emergencies.

I wish you and her the best. You know her quality of life better than anyone, if she can't bounce back after trying everything you can afford then it's not fair to let her suffer.

·
Registered
Male bettas: Strider, Smauge, and Lagolas, Female betta: Lady & Cookies. Gecko: George
236 Posts
I would suggest trying methyl blue baths. I add a few drops to a small kritter keeper with my fish's current tank water for about 30 minutes. I just purchased a betta who is undernourished, SBD, columnaris, and breathing heavily. He's had 2 baths and those tend to perk him up. The methyl blue increase hemoglobin oxygen binding in the blood or at the very least it should ease your girl's breathing and keep her comfortable. Maybe set her up in a QT tank with a lower water level, her heater, a hide, and some small plants for aeration. It will be easier on her without the current and less distance to travel to the surface.

It's a great tool to keep on hand like water conditioner and clove oil for emergencies.

I wish you and her the best. You know her quality of life better than anyone, if she can't bounce back after trying everything you can afford then it's not fair to let her suffer.
Besides above I would also recommend doing Epsom salt baths and not putting it straight in her tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I got the methylene blue. The tank I have her in now is planted so I'm gonna get some water from it and add the blue stuff to that for the recommended 30 minutes. How often can i do this? Daily? Hope this works

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Besides above I would also recommend doing Epsom salt baths and not putting it straight in her tank.
I have tried epsom salt dips/baths but nothing came of them. If the methylene doesnt work I will try to get another brand of epsom and try with that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry the first one is so close didnt have alot of room between tanks. She is looking a little better after the bath. she used to just have her mouth out of the water squeezed between the heater and the glass and on her side. Not shes just cockied and leaning up towards the surface not hanging out of water. Still breathing heavy and not eating

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
Before I forget: All plain Epsom Salt is the same; brand doesn't matter. She does not appear to have SBD.

From above does she look like this:
FishFromAbove.jpg

She should have a smooth transition from her head to he caudal. If she has an indent between her head and and body she's too thin. If you can catch her swimming out maybe you can get a photo from directly above so we can see.

Which Aqueon do you use? Some of their foods are good; some not so much.

When she was in the community tank did you watch to see that she had plenty of food? The issue with community tanks (I have had and love them) is keeping a Betta fed. Even the females are slower than most of the residents. Over a period of time they start showing the symptoms of a lack of proper nutrition: Losing weight, loss of appetite, lethargy. Pretty much the symptoms of most fish issues.

If she were mine I would

1. Cease the peas.

2. Add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. Float or brew a strong tea. Tank should be at least the color below.
TankWithIAL.jpg

3. Feed frozen Bloodworms (if she will take them) and add a vitamin supplement like Boyd https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16708-Freshwater-Vitachem/dp/B00BS96V78 at one drop per gallon.

4. Be very careful with Methylene Blue and read its actual effects on fish. Here are the directions from Kordon for dips/baths:

For use as a dip for treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans and cyanide poisoning:
(a) Prepare a nonmetallic container of sufficient size to contain the fish to be treated by adding water similar to the original aquarium.
(b) Add 5 teaspoons (24.65 ml) per 3 gallons of water.** This produces a concentration of 50 ppm. It is not recommended that the concentration be increased beyond 50 ppm.
(c) Place fishes to be treated in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
(d) Return fish to original aquarium.

**1.5 teaspoons (8.2 ml) per gallon

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got the methylene blue. The tank I have her in now is planted so I'm gonna get some water from it and add the blue stuff to that for the recommended 30 minutes. How often can i do this? Daily? Hope this works

Awesome, just try not to get it in your current tank as it can kill the current cycle.
I do my dips daily and then a few days after the symptoms disappear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I forget: All plain Epsom Salt is the same; brand doesn't matter. She does not appear to have SBD.

From above does she look like this:
View attachment 1028940

She should have a smooth transition from her head to he caudal. If she has an indent between her head and and body she's too thin. If you can catch her swimming out maybe you can get a photo from directly above so we can see.

Which Aqueon do you use? Some of their foods are good; some not so much.

When she was in the community tank did you watch to see that she had plenty of food? The issue with community tanks (I have had and love them) is keeping a Betta fed. Even the females are slower than most of the residents. Over a period of time they start showing the symptoms of a lack of proper nutrition: Losing weight, loss of appetite, lethargy. Pretty much the symptoms of most fish issues.

If she were mine I would

1. Cease the peas.

2. Add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. Float or brew a strong tea. Tank should be at least the color below.
View attachment 1028943

3. Feed frozen Bloodworms (if she will take them) and add a vitamin supplement like Boyd https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16708-Freshwater-Vitachem/dp/B00BS96V78 at one drop per gallon.

4. Be very careful with Methylene Blue and read its actual effects on fish. Here are the directions from Kordon for dips/baths:

For use as a dip for treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans and cyanide poisoning:
(a) Prepare a nonmetallic container of sufficient size to contain the fish to be treated by adding water similar to the original aquarium.
(b) Add 5 teaspoons (24.65 ml) per 3 gallons of water.** This produces a concentration of 50 ppm. It is not recommended that the concentration be increased beyond 50 ppm.
(c) Place fishes to be treated in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
(d) Return fish to original aquarium.

**1.5 teaspoons (8.2 ml) per gallon
She ate well I had the filter output angled away from where i fed. I do have some real wood in the tank she is in now so those tannins are doing something. She is skinny now but not eating anything I think it's an enternal thing. I used to feed aqueon flakes and betta pellets and occasionally freeze dried blood worms. (Cant really use frozen in my predicament)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, just try not to get it in your current tank as it can kill the current cycle.
I do my dips daily and then a few days after the symptoms disappear.
Yeah I did it in a separate container then transferred her into clean tank water then scooped her from there back into tank. She did go back to the leaf and look better but currently is back to the heater with her mouth out of water. Still wont eat even when I practically put daphnia in her mouth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts