Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a/any female betta/s in a tank w other peaceful shoaling species and if so, in what type of community/set up? Thanks :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi!
Here's someone ;

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
My female was the best in my community tank. Dwarf Moscow Guppies, Neons, Endler's Livebearers, Ember Tetra, Habrosus and Pygmy Cory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! Thanks for the replies. Its a fairly good option then? Did you manage things like, adding the betta last, getting the betta as a juvenile, etc or did you just go all in? How long has/did the arrangement work for?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think I tried mine out with tropical fish at one point. Everything was peaceful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the replies. Its a fairly good option then? Did you manage things like, adding the betta last, getting the betta as a juvenile, etc or did you just go all in? How long has/did the arrangement work for?
Our female Bettas were added last. The community was established for 2-3 months, we got two females from the same sorority tank in the shop and put them in together in the community tank. They settled very quickly.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
If adding new fish to a tank with an established Betta:

1. Turn off lights
2. Let new fish float
3. Release into dark tank
4. Leave lights off for at least a couple of hours

When you float bags in lit tanks aggression can build up Not so much if floated in a dark tank. In addition, leaving the lights off gives the new residents a chance to scope out the tank in relative peace.

Do in reverse if adding Betta to an established tank.

When adding new fish always use SeaChem Stability. It "feeds" the nitrifying bacteria so the increased bioload doesn't cause a cycle crash or mini-cycle. Do not add all at once.

What size tank are you contemplating? Do you have a cycled tank? Will you be using it after you set up the new one? If you have a cycled tank you can run it along with a new filter and use the Stability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts