Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female betta has an awfully large stomach. It is not Dropsy, because I lost my last betta to Dropsy and she acts nothing like he did. She eats eagerly, is active, and her scales are not pineconing. However, she still is very big. I at first thought she was bloated/constipated, and fasted her for a day. She did not lose any weight from it. I did notice, however, that her egg spot is very visible, which led me to think- maybe she is full of eggs. I would like to know the cause of her large size so I can help her either way. If she is full of eggs, how long will it take for her to release/absorb them?

BACKSTORY: I have had her for a little over a week. In the pet store, the cup she was in was right next to a male. Could she have been staring at him and preparing for breeding 'accidentally'? I only noticed the bloating two days ago.
I do have a male betta, too, but she has never seen him. Do I have to introduce them to get her to release the eggs? I'm not really ready for the commitment of breeding, but am not opposed to doing something to make her feel better.

LONG I KNOW. I uploaded pictures to show her size and the prominence of her ovipositor. It was hard to get a clear picture of her because it is hard to get a good picture of a wiggly betta :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
for me it doesn't look like she's sick, so i can only suggest that you test her if she will blush.

to do this, you do not need to put her with the male, just need to take her tank close to the male so she will be able to see him.
if she blused, means she'll be adding stripe patterns and will be ready to breed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Try fasting her for a few more days. This should trigger her to absorb the eggs as her body requires more nutrients.

The suggestion to place her next to the male is a good one. Eventually she should get excited enough to drop them. I'd try fasting her for a few more days first, though.

Breeding her should not be necessary.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'll try fasting her and then I'll put them in each others view if that does not work. Thanks :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
she looks just bloated to me, when my female gets eggy she turns white white white around her ovipositor. It goes away on its own in time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts