Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last couple of days I have has a bubble nest in my female sorority tank. It is a well developed nest and not just air bubbles. Anyone heard of this or any idea why?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I once had a sponge filter stop working in one of my female tanks. This female often shows breeding bars as well. When the filter stopped she built her own bubble nest and filled it with eggs. I removed the nest and fixed the filter. The surface agitation keeps her from making more nests. My female is alone. No tank mates. If you’re absolutely sure you don’t have an accidental male in there as well lol. The eggs won’t hatch and the females will eat them. To save your females the bloating from over eating or the stress of a female possibly guarding the nest from the others I recommend removing the nest/eggs and adjusting your filtration to cause more movement on the surface of the water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I once had a sponge filter stop working in one of my female tanks. This female often shows breeding bars as well. When the filter stopped she built her own bubble nest and filled it with eggs. I removed the nest and fixed the filter. The surface agitation keeps her from making more nests. My female is alone. No tank mates. If you’re absolutely sure you don’t have an accidental male in there as well lol. The eggs won’t hatch and the females will eat them. To save your females the bloating from over eating or the stress of a female possibly guarding the nest from the others I recommend removing the nest/eggs and adjusting your filtration to cause more movement on the surface of the water.
Thanks. I will try the filter on a higher setting and see if it helps. She has also been aggressive over the last couple of days, guarding the nest. I’m now no longer 100% sure she is female. Small possibility that it could be a short fin male. I got them all young and it’s only recently her aggression has risen and the nest building started

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Well if it is a male after all (which is possible) and the eggs have been fertilized, unless you want a whole lotta babies I’d still remove the nest. The other females will probably eat any babies that hatch anyhow. Eggs hatch in about 72 hours- 3 days.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks male to me - bodyshape, fins and „first overall impression“ bring me to this.
I am far from being an expert. (S)he reminds me a lot of my little Plakat whom I got as a female, but having already been 99% certain that he was a male.
And he was:).

Reactions: X skully X

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Thank you for the help @Feanor I do believe you’re right. I am also not an expert but have many plakat males and females. @indjo this looks like a plakat male to me. Can you help us confirm? Many thanks 🙏🏻

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks male to me - bodyshape, fins and „first overall impression“ bring me to this.
I am far from being an expert. (S)he reminds me a lot of my little Plakat whom I got as a female, but having already been 99% certain that he was a male.
And he was:).
Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I know now he is definitely a male. Just Mated with one of the other females. The two females in the tank had a field day trying to get at the eggs and he is now rehoused in his own tank

·
Registered
114 Posts
Behind the heater...where no one could see them...ts ts ts!
And for the rest: no supper tonight, right ;)?!

Reactions: Momofbetta
1 - 19 of 19 Posts