Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now, we have awoken to find what appears to be a bubble nest in Sookie's tank. Before anyone asks, no, there is no possibility she is a male.

That is Sookie.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you know for sure shes a female? im not second guessing you im just curious. Im new to bettas :) and ive only ever had males. the only way i know how to tell the difference is tail length haha

Her fins down below her belly (not sure what they're called) are a lot shorter than a males and she has an egg spot. And Gandalf tried to hump her when they had a divided tank and he got onto her side.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the anal fin is the long one, the ventral fins are the little ones by her gills. I dont think ive ever seen a girl with such a long caudal fin. but hopefully someone else can help you figure it out. Im sorry to say i wont be any help haha

Caudal fin?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Her fins down below her belly (not sure what they're called) are a lot shorter than a males and she has an egg spot. And Gandalf tried to hump her when they had a divided tank and he got onto her side.
LOL! "he tried to hump her" made me giggle. Females can blow bubble nests. It's not normal but they can and do.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! "he tried to hump her" made me giggle. Females can blow bubble nests. It's not normal but they can and do.
I didn't know how to put it more delicately. He squeezed onto her side and... shenanigans ensued.

I really highly doubt Sookie is a male. She is a "giant" so I guess her fins would be larger than the average female.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
yeah. Unless she's got a giant beard and tried to kill your other male, which by the sounds of it, she didn't then its a girl. They do blow bubble nests though. I've heard as some going so far as to put their own unfertilized eggs in the nest

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah. Unless she's got a giant beard and tried to kill your other male, which by the sounds of it, she didn't then its a girl. They do blow bubble nests though. I've heard as some going so far as to put their own unfertilized eggs in the nest
She doesn't have a giant beard. She did kinda whip him away, but she didn't nip at him or anything. What's strange is that the nest is right near the filter output.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Some of my more aggressive gals, and bigger gals tend to make nests xD she definitely looks like a she.

Does she have fin rot? or did she get snagged?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of my more aggressive gals, and bigger gals tend to make nests xD she definitely looks like a she.

Does she have fin rot? or did she get snagged?
She doesn't have fin rot. Those clear spots in the middle of her tail have always been there. The rough edges are from a snag, I think. She doesn't have that as we speak.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
ahh ok :lol: snag isn't uncommon. or for my girls, it's pretty common depending on their moods xD

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I posted a picture of the "nest." Is it safe to say that's what it is? It's right near the filter output, so I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I cannot see the picture :/ most nests I find the bubbles "stick" to the closest object. a stick, your finger, siphon tube, or each other. It's usual for it to drift to the filter output =D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts