Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time owning a betta fish and it's been a few weeks since I have had my betta, Elaine. Some concerning things have been popping up lately:

1. Her belly is white
2. Red stripes are appearing, even though her body is a purple/blue color.
3. She isn't as active, often hangs out near the top of the water.
4. Doesn't make her air bubble nest.

I have read into the white belly and think it could possibly be stress or I'm over feeding her and the stripes could be an indicator for inflamed gills. I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on?

Information
Living Conditions:
Elaine lives in a 1.5 gallon tank, has one plastic plant, and has filtration. I have two heaters in her tank and it's usually at a consistent 79 degrees Fahrenheit (26 degrees Celsius).

Feeding:
I feed her sometimes with standard betta pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I fed her at some point this flake food made for betta, but shortly learned flake food can harm her so I stopped. She gets fed one pellet some days and 2 blood worms other days. I do one one or two days without feeding just to see what happens.

Thank you!

·
Registered
908 Posts
1. I wouldn't worry too much about the white belly, when my female gets eggy hers is white as well :) Darn piggy will sometimes look like she swallowed a golf ball after she eats!

2. where are the stripes located? can you post a pic?

3. How often do you change the water and how much of it do you change?

4. Generally only males blow bubble nests, and even then it's not guaranteed they will, I know males who never have. Occasionally a female will but that's rare.

edited to add:

Do the stripes look like this? (up near the face?)

not my pic, found on google

if so, that's a normal part of the gills (I forget the exact part/name), I remember wondering the same thing and someone here said that's normal.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The white belly is because she's eggy, it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In a small container, ammonia can build up pretty quickly and stress the fish. Do you do regular water changes? Prime water conditioner can detoxify ammonia too. There are great hints in the stickies about water condition and parameters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do regular water changes, but I do not use prime water conditioner. I usually use Top Fin's Betta water conditioner. I can try and use that if it means it helps her. Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts