Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had 2 females in the same tank and I researched and the next day got 3 more to create a balanced "harem". there's this one white fish and I'm not sure of its gender. my black female is developing fear stripes. I'm worried. the white one, Snowy, has been showing dominance from the start.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Pictures and tank stats please. The scared one could be the least dominant? Females are not unstressed by other females, males just tend to be most aggressive.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
You have much too small a tank, and too small a group to be keeping your females together.

When you keep females in pairs or trios, the most dominant/aggressive/territorial female, will almost always harass and bully subordinate fish.

Personally I would recommend separating all three of your females. Sororities can be an extremely volatile environment, as you are forcing territorial and aggressive fish into close confines and expecting them to peacefully cohabitate. When you have only a small group of fish, the risk is just that much higher.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I realise now you had five females. For some reason I thought you only had three.

A 7.5 gallon is a very small tank to be attempting a sorority in.

Just be aware that simply because you've separated Snowy, doesn't mean that there won't be further issues with aggressive behaviour.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its all good now, Strawberry is dominant I think. she's only nipping at the others- not attacking- that's normal right?? I took two of the white ones out and I'm giving them to friends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts