Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here and have a question for you. I have a sorority of 7 females (as well as 3 males) anyway I have had the females just about 6 weeks and one is not doing well. Her fins are either getting nipped at or she has them clamped down, they were all bought at the same time out of the same tank. But I want to move her to an empty 5 g tank I have...it was going to be for my next male but I want to put her in to see if she will do better. So first question, it is a new tank but I filled it with my established tank water, should I still put in an old filter foam as well or is the water enough. And what else should I put in the water, some salt/epsom salt? I can't get IAL unless it comes through the mail but I can get black water extract from the LFS (I think that is the right name) and should I remove the carbon. Anything else? It is not fin rot, and the little heater I bought for the tank will heat it to 78, no other option on it.

·
Banned
827 Posts
The females are clamped and stressed because there are males in the tank. Take them out ASAP. Hopefully I'm misreading this b/c I really hope you do not house your males with your females! If I misread, then I would look at your water conditions and how your tank is set up. Is the water free from ammonia and nitrites, is the nitrate reading under 20 ppm? Do you have adequate caves and plants? A sorority should be so packed with them that many times you can not see your fish. The girls need protection from each other, tall plants to break line of sight and caves and plants to hide in.

In a new tank you do not need to add established water - there is no such thing. The bio bacteria needed to cycle a tank comes from things with surface area such as gravel, tank walls, decorations, filter media. Water is either free of ammonia etc or not. You want to add in filter media if possible, even a few handfuls of gravel or a decoration if you can. The more you can rob from the established tank, the better. Just be sure not to take so much as to crash the established tanks cycle.

Do not add any salts, esp not epsom. Epsom salt is to be used only for internal issues like bloating. Aquarium salt is useful in preventing parasites or treating them - like ich & velvet. You really don't need it here though for a little fin clamping. All she needs is pristine warm water. 78 is ok for her, but if goes lower than that I'd get a new heater.

She will probably like the blackwater extract, but I prefer actual IAL :) And no, you don't need to remove the carbon when you use it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The females are clamped and stressed because there are males in the tank. Take them out ASAP. Hopefully I'm misreading this b/c I really hope you do not house your males with your females! If I misread, then I would look at your water conditions and how your tank is set up. Is the water free from ammonia and nitrites, is the nitrate reading under 20 ppm? Do you have adequate caves and plants? A sorority should be so packed with them that many times you can not see your fish. The girls need protection from each other, tall plants to break line of sight and caves and plants to hide in.

In a new tank you do not need to add established water - there is no such thing. The bio bacteria needed to cycle a tank comes from things with surface area such as gravel, tank walls, decorations, filter media. Water is either free of ammonia etc or not. You want to add in filter media if possible, even a few handfuls of gravel or a decoration if you can. The more you can rob from the established tank, the better. Just be sure not to take so much as to crash the established tanks cycle.

Do not add any salts, esp not epsom. Epsom salt is to be used only for internal issues like bloating. Aquarium salt is useful in preventing parasites or treating them - like ich & velvet. You really don't need it here though for a little fin clamping. All she needs is pristine warm water. 78 is ok for her, but if goes lower than that I'd get a new heater.

She will probably like the blackwater extract, but I prefer actual IAL :) And no, you don't need to remove the carbon when you use it.

oops sorry should have been clearer, the males are not in the same tank as the females!! The 20 g tank they are in has been going since last November, and it is heavily planted. I am going to go get my water tested, and I will go add some gravel and a foam from my other tank right now.
OK foam filter changed to one from the 20 g and I added some gravel, a rock with some algae on it and a little silk plant from another established tank! I will get the BWA tonight or tomorrow.
How long do I have to wait to switch her to this tank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts