Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to make this thread for a good reason.

My female, Wicca has made a HUGE bubblenest after I placed her in a jar of her own due to aggression issues she was having in the sorority after having her in the community for over five months with NO aggression issues. This suddenly cropped up and I have no idea what to do with her except keep her now in a solitary jar because before I removed her from the sorority she nipped two of the other members.

So I have two questions (because I really couldn't find any good information on this anywhere)

1. Is a female making a bubblenest an indication that she is wanting to breed? Or is she just having a testosterone fueled PMS?

2. If I did breed her (She is about eight months old) is that too old for breeding? I've heard some people have bred fish older than this but its usually a male instead of a female.

-Sincerely

Pictures (Sorry if they are large)

Picture of Wicca when she came from Basement Betta, picture by Basement Betta. She has grown out and now has a very easy 180 spread, she is my favorite female and I would love to breed her, I just dont know if I should or not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read about some females creating bubble nests and then placing unfertilized eggs into it. The reason I am concerned is because she has never exhibited this behavior prior to this episode. Not only that, she flares and is very aggressive towards other bettas, whether it be male or female (I placed her jar next to Pandora then next to Numa and she was flaring the entire time with her following the movements of the other betta in full flare, she used to be the most passive betta I owned and now she has become a little devil.)

This sudden turnaround in behavior is what is concerning me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is definitely a female, she still exhibits an egg spot and now appears like she is swelling up with eggs. I do not know if she is thinking she can have a spawn all by herself or what but she is maintaining the size of it. Also, I have read females create smaller bubbles than males and this is definitely true with her nest. I will try to get a better picture of her when I come home today.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My lighting for her right now is bad, she is green. Also, this is her at eight months old, her pictures from Basement Bettas was when she was three months old. The ends of her fins have grown out into a white band.
(Picture of when she was in the sorority and her real color)

(Pictures showing her form)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wicca (Thinking of changing her name to Wicked) is a girl, I am 100% certain on that fact, Her fins are no longer growing either. She just ended up with a white band on the edge of her fins instead of staying solid green, Im thinking about setting up photo lighting just so you can see how much of a lovely girl she is.

Just so we can bounce back to the main point of this thread. Should I "attempt" to breed her down the line? Wicca is eight months old but she is so fiesty about this I am considering doing it before the chance is lost entirely.

-Sincerely

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She carries DT in her, so that may help to explain her finnage (I personally love it) Also, she has been living in the sorority ever since I received her with virtually no contact with males except when she would see Kanki in the spawning tank when I was conditioning him (He would flare at the girls through this tiny crack that he managed to find), this aggressive behavior just cropped up recently so maybe she is attempting to assert dominance?

The dominant female of my sorority is an old gal about a year old or so and kept to the top of the pecking order just because of her sheer size that she is able to throw around, the strange thing is she is not aggressive in the least but because Wicca is the second oldest maybe she wants to be alpha now? I have watched the both of them flare off but then part ways peacefully before I removed Wicca, Wicca actually nipped the youngest members of the group who are non-agnostic as well.

I'm just so confuzzled about all of this :-?.

As a youngster she had good form for shows (I believe) but as with all bettas she grew out and now has more fin than what she used to.

-Sincerely

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. It's helped to sort out what I will decide to do with her, I will observe her behavior for awhile longer while "conditioning" her at the same time and if it seems like she calms down and goes back to her normal self I may breed her to Kanki (If you have been watching my spawn log you know who he is ;-)) but then again maybe I won't.

Who Knows?

-Sincerely

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.