Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this all. I recently got my female betta this last Wednesday. She was happy to be in her new home & would always approach me when I would go to her bowl. Now before I get comments saying that Im doing it all wrong, remember I'm VERY NEW to this. I'm trying my best to give my Ellie, my betta, my best. She has a very small bowl (0.6 gallons) with an led light attached that I only leave on during the day. I turn it off at night so she can sleep. She had a fake plant in her bowl that she loved. Then I replaced it with a little house so she could hide in. She loved that too. Well her water got extremely filthy right away & I know it's because the bowl is very small. I decided to clean it out. I was not aware that you're only supposed to clean it partially. I cleaned it all. I drained the water & put new water. While she waited for this, she got very stressed and lost her color immediately. Once she was acclimated & back in the water, her color returned within 20 minutes. I did replace the little house with the plant because she seemed to like the plant more. She started circling the bowl like crazy, pushing against the glass. She did this all night. It's like she's freaking out. I would check on her in the middle of the night, and instead of sleeping, like she usually does, she was still swimming very fast against the bowl. She is STILL doing it and I don't know what to do. This morning I put the house back & removed the fake plant to see if she would calm down, but she hasn't. I'm worried about her. She doesn't approach me like she used to. Her eating is normal. I feed her pellets & occasionally feed her freeze dried food. I did test the water & the hardness was a bit high. Everything else is normal. Has this happened to anyone? Is she going to be okay?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did. The water temperature had a 2 degree difference, which is why I acclimated her. I was in a hurry because I knew she was stressing. She did sit in the water for 20 minutes before I actually put her in.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I understand you are new to betta keeping, but can you get a bigger tank with a heater and a filter?
Being new isn't really an excuse. The best you can do in the long term is get a better setup. With loads of live or silk plants.

I had that happen yesterday, but that was sudden panic from SBD that showed symptoms in 5mins. And it only lasted a hour.
(We both freaked out.)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You will need to do 50% changes daily.

Do you have a storage bin? I'm using a plastic storage bin with a lid for the SBD patient. Even a 5gal kritter keeper can be bought for under $20 at most pet stores.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some things I just noticed:
She's lost color on her face. It used to be pink-ish and now it's brownish/gray.
And she has a small white spot on her belly. I read this was her egg spot ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts