Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so in the few years that I've been keeping bettas I haven't had any trouble with the tank and filter combo I have. I don't remember the name or brand to be honest, it was a gift from about 3 and a half years ago so I'm not much help there...

However, since I've moved recently I've been having a film form on the top of the water. I believe it's due to the still surface that the filter just isn't disturbing enough, and the water change from moving. This issue didn't arise in the two previous places I have lived, and I haven't changed anything about my tank combo other than cycling through decorations so my betta never got bored. This once again makes me think it's the water in my new apartment.

I attempted to get some pictures of the film, but alas it wouldn't even show up on camera. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to remedy this unsightly annoyance, I'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
it's a protein film. If your tank is big enough, and the water still enough a bladder snail or two will gladly nom it up.

If not, increased surface agitation usually dispels it.

or

you can lay a piece of paper towel over the surface and then quickly pull it off to soak it up :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
It could be possible that the new apartment water needs more agitation to stay clean than your other water sources did, it could also be that your filter is getting old and maybe not putting out the power it used to.

Either way it sounds like it would be worthwhile to try a new filter to me.

My house has well water that creates an oily film when combined with air. Strong agitation fixes it

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been thinking of getting a second tank setup to keep two bettas for once so I'll probably look into getting a new filter for my original tank as well. The paper towel trick did the job of getting the film out of the way for now. Thank you for the suggestions and help :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured I'd post to say I got a new filter and it was immediately evident that my old one had definitely lost some of its umph. The new filter is working great, and the film that had returned since the last paper towel lift is now gone and has not formed back since I replaced the old filter, so yay :) Thank you both for the info and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.