Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this post isn't really about bettas, more about my filter cartridge. I have a 2.5 gal Mini Bow tank with a mystery snail (apple snail) and anacharis. The filter cartridge gets really dirty and icky, and I'm wondering if I should change it. I know I shouldn't because there's good bacteria on it but I'm not trying to cycle the tank and I do weekly 100% water changes. I do wash it with old tank water, but it doesn't do much and that cartridge is NASTY. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you're not planning on cycling the tank, then I would just suggest removing the filter all together. The main purpose of having a filter when keeping bettas is to cycle the tank and provide a place for the beneficial bacteria to grow.....otherwise the filter just kinda takes up space.

Is the weekly 100% the only water change you do? Especially with a snail in the tank, which are BIG waste producers, you're going to want to toss in a couple more 50-ish% water changes a week to keep the ammonia down, though you'll probably want to look into upgrading to a 5+ gallon that you can filter and cycle in the near future if you want to keep the snail; a 2.5 is really only suitable for a single betta alone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It is only his temporary home, I will be moving him to a 10 gallon next week. :) Every other day, I also do 50% water changes to keep the ammonia down. He's been in there for two weeks, just keeping him in there right now because he was gifted to me. I have been cycling the 10 gallon for the past month, so next week he's gonna be in his new home! :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Ahh, you've got it all sorted out then. Fantastic! xD

Then yeah, just go ahead and remove the filter. Not much point in it being in there, its not really doing anything if you're not cycling and its just a temporary setup.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it has multi-stage filter, remove one at a time and not all at the same time, can ruin your cycle, but like DragonFishh said, if you're not cycling, go ahead and change them all at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts