Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this post isn't really about bettas, more about my filter cartridge. I have a 2.5 gal Mini Bow tank with a mystery snail (apple snail) and anacharis. The filter cartridge gets really dirty and icky, and I'm wondering if I should change it. I know I shouldn't because there's good bacteria on it but I'm not trying to cycle the tank and I do weekly 100% water changes. I do wash it with old tank water, but it doesn't do much and that cartridge is NASTY. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you're not planning on cycling the tank, then I would just suggest removing the filter all together. The main purpose of having a filter when keeping bettas is to cycle the tank and provide a place for the beneficial bacteria to grow.....otherwise the filter just kinda takes up space.

Is the weekly 100% the only water change you do? Especially with a snail in the tank, which are BIG waste producers, you're going to want to toss in a couple more 50-ish% water changes a week to keep the ammonia down, though you'll probably want to look into upgrading to a 5+ gallon that you can filter and cycle in the near future if you want to keep the snail; a 2.5 is really only suitable for a single betta alone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It is only his temporary home, I will be moving him to a 10 gallon next week. :) Every other day, I also do 50% water changes to keep the ammonia down. He's been in there for two weeks, just keeping him in there right now because he was gifted to me. I have been cycling the 10 gallon for the past month, so next week he's gonna be in his new home! :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it has multi-stage filter, remove one at a time and not all at the same time, can ruin your cycle, but like DragonFishh said, if you're not cycling, go ahead and change them all at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.