Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ten gallon tank with only one betta in it, nothing else living. The package the filter cartridges come in says to change the cartridge every three to four weeks. I've had this cartridge in for about a week now and it doesn't look dirty at all, (new filter) and the old filter's cartridge with my old bettas (both died in an algae outbreak when the tank was divided) was looking like it needed changed at least once every week, though it was the same model and instructions. Do I really need to change this thing that often (every 3-4 weeks), will this filter work its way to being like the old one after a few months, or because it's only one little fish in such a big tank will I be able to stretch the cartridges a little longer?

It may also be useful to note that I do a ten percent water change weekly and a 100% change once every two months, with a 50% change in between at least once. And the filter is a Tetra Whisper 10i and the tank is heated.

If anyone could tell me what their experience has been that would be awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that will be really helpful, I'm a student and filter cartridges are expensive, if I can stretch them for as long as possible it will save some money in case anything happens to the fish or other tank equipment. I'm on a limited budget for my fish along with everything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts