Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved my betta into a new 5.5tank last night. It's a lot larger than his old tank, and he won't stop freaking out. At first I assume it was because of the filter so I removed it, but he continued to swim frantically, and his stress lines are still there. I want to put the filter back in, because frankly I don't think he really noticed it in the first place. Should I put it in now, or wait for him to get used to the home before introducing it?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Welcome Gene! Bettas sometimes need a little time to get adjusted to new surroundings. So he could be in his adjustment phase. My bettas have usually only taken a few days. If you just put him in, give him some more time.

About the filter. I think it's a good idea to have one. But you are right, the flow might be bothering him. You can use this tutorial to show you how to baffle the flow from the filter using just a water bottle. I have this type of filter baffle in my goldfish and 29 gal community tank. To prevent his fins from getting sucked up in the inflow, you can use a clean rubber band and attach an aquarium sponge to it.

Hope your boy adjusts soon!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Do give him a little time. :) When Odysseus went from his one litre home in the petshop to my 20 litre (5 gallon) tank, he spent his first 3 days completely hidden. Now he's all over it. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts