Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got really lucky and stumbled across a really good deal on a Rena XP3 canister filter -- $70, the guy just wants to get rid of it. I'll be making sure it's in working order before I drop the cash for it.

My only problem is this dilemma; it's rated for up to 125 gallons, but I only have a 70 gallon tank. Would this be over-kill for my tank, or can I just turn the flow down or something? I know that often times you go for a filter rated a lil' higher than the actual size of the tank, but this one is 55 gallons over.

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S: It needs to be a slower-current tank, since I have a bettafish. So will the filter make too strong a current, do you think?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You could baffle it really well. I have two 60g filters on my 20g long lol I stuffed a bunch of filter floss in the outtake and taped it up with duct tape. Cuts the flow down pretty well though I only have girls. Long finned boys might need more baffling.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have that filter in a 55 gallon tank, and it's fine. The flow is a little strong, but I learned to aim it slightly up toward the surface and back toward the back wall and it's okay. It's a really nice filter. I'm happy with it. You can baffle it easily by putting a little bit of sponge or mesh screen on the outflow. I used mesh vinyl window screening doubled up because with the sponge, there was NO current, and my non-anabantoid fish were starting to suffer from lack of oxygen in the water because of no surface movement at all. The mesh is a nice compromise.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Filters really should be aimed at a turnover if 10x your tank volume per hour. So at 350g per hour that filter is actually under kill for 70g. You are perfectly safe at that rate. I wouldn't baffle it. In 70g any betta can choose to be in the current or not. My bf has a male betta in his 125 with far more filtration . After adjusting for a couple days he has learned to like the current . There's about 950g per hr flow rate in there the betta swims in by choice .

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thankyou: for the helpful replies, I'm going to look into getting that filter!

·
Registered
232 Posts
10x times tank capacity is correct for Hang over filters. for Canister Filters its actually 5x times is what i read.
Either way, except for the intensity of the output flow, there really isnt such a thing as "overkill". The more the better as long as you can control the flow for your boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts