Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
charlie has a weird obsession with sticking himself against the filter intake. he definitely does it on purpose and can get himself off of it with no problem. he gets quite angry if i unplug the filter to "un stick" him. however the intake is like a vent, and i've now noticed a small tear in his tail fin. i think sometimes his tail fin gets sucked in a bit ripping/tearing it. i have extra panty hose that i want to put around the intake to stop his fins from getting sucked in and its like extra filtration but i'm unsure of how to secure the panty hose. just wrap it around and tie a knot in the panty hose? cut the leg off and slip it underneath like putting a sock on your foot and secure it with yarn or maybe a zip tie? if i did that would the panty hose run? they already have a couple of runs in the thigh which is why they are extra haha. or is there something else i can do? also do i have to swish the panty hose in old take water occasionally like i do for the filter cartridge?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty cute that he gets angry when you try to un stick him lol

I think that's a great idea with the panty hose over the filter, I think I might do it too! what about tying it with a hair tie or rubber band? all cleaned of course, or a knot in the panty hose would probably work too I'm assuming :) but I don't think using yarn or string to tie it would make it ladder or run but I think a zip tie possibly could.

I hope this kind of helped :)
yes thank you! i never thought of a hair tie or a rubber band, that would probably work best. but i still don't know whether i should cut the panty hose or just wrap it around?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats okay! I like to help, or at least try to :)
Hmm if you wrap it around is the filter still going to work? I feel like maybe cutting it and just having that second layer might be enough, that should be pretty thick to cover the filter? I know it'd definitely be enough for mine. Perhaps you could try it one way for a couple of days and see what happens? Trial it kind of? :)
oh i didn't even think about the filter being able to work if the panty hose were too thick!! i'll just use one layer

I use the black fluval prefilter sponges over the intake strainers. He may still do it but the the suction won't be so bad and he won't injure himself or his fins.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A1387-...=1411588747&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+prefilters

You can get 3- packs too for less cost. that's what I got. But this gives you an idea of what they look lke.
i've seen those but i'm pretty sure they don't make any for the filter i have :(

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesn't matter if they are not made for you filter. Fluval also makes just plain blocks of filter sponge. You can get a box for under $10. Just cut a piece and wrap it around the intake and then use rubber bands to secure it. You may have to cut the thickness of the sponge down so the sponge is thinner.
well its a tetra whisper in tank filter so circular sponges won't work. could i use a brand new un used kitchen sponge? the kind thats just plain sponge without the scrubby part

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
you didn't read my posts. the sponge i posted ISN'T a circular sponge. Its literally a rectangle shape

http://www.thatpetplace.com/foam-block-fluval-404-405-2pk

you cut a piece and the wrap it.

it is not a cylinder and it will work on the whisper.

You maybe need to cut the thickness of the sponge down but that is super easy to do.

please don't jump to conclusions. I've used this sponge a tons of different filters.
i did read your posts, the first link you posted was to a circular sponge which prompted my response about circular sponges not working. you did not post the link for the rectangular sponge at first. i read that you said they make plain blocks of sponges but i asked about the kitchen sponges because i just bought a new unused pack of sponges for the kitchen and didn't want to buy another sponge if i could just use the kitchen sponges.

***omg i read all the replies but didn't pay attention to the usernames! i just realized you are a different person than earlier in the replies, so sorry! disregard the part where i said "the first link you posted" i'm a dummy sometimes!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never posted a link of circular sponges. that was someone else. again read who posts what.

I wouldn't use kitchen sponges because they are dyed and the dye can be harmful to the tank.

you should only use things in your aquarium that are intended for aquarium use. the box of filter sponge is $5. its super cheap.
i know, i caught that right after i posted the reply and edited it, explaining that i did not look at the usernames. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would stay away from kitchen sponges. Some of them are made with chemicals harmful to fish. I thought the same thing and bought some a year ago. In teeny tiny print on the package it says "not for aquarium use".
yeah i didn't think putting it in an aquarium would be a good idea but i wasn't sure. my mom and sister use sponge filters and they feel and look way different from kitchen sponges. but like i said before i didn't want to buy another sponge if i could have used a sponge i already had. i don't think i am going to use a sponge at all though because i feel like it would be a really weak suction vs just putting panty hose over it and since charlie really likes the suction i don't want to completely eliminate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.